Brake setup question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Brake setup question

Hello, I recently put formula brakes on both my bikes, rx and oro k24s, and on both I am having the same problem. I installed them correctly and the calipers are centers on the rotors. The problem is a very small space between the pad and rotor on both sides of the rotor, less than 1mm but I can see though this gap. Because of this I have about 1" of lever pull before the pads even contact the rotor. I did not have this problem with the shimano m585s and juicy 3s I used previously. I just ordered the bleed kit for formulas and I'm hoping a bleed will fix this? If not does anyone know how to fix this?

mtbr member
    I don't think that this actually is a problem. I am pretty sure that Formula brakes are designed to have a longer lever pull. My The Ones were the same.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    I have K24s and I can see through both sides. I just bought Stroker Trails and they are like that too. I think its somewhat standard, otherwise you will be rubbing on your rotors, causing drag.

T.W.O.
    It's not a problem, just different brakes and feature.
    The 2 brakes you've mentioned do not have pad adjustment. K24 does it very convenience, as you don't have to bleed the line to achieve lever feel you like. In general 1" is a good start as the lever would travel about 2-3" total anyways, it gives a much better feel. I ride with my finger hook to the rear lever right before engagement point.

If the line is full bled and the lever engage at the slight pull, it can be a pain, as there's less room to finesse your brake. I don't think RX has pad contact adj, so if you want to have a very short engagement you just have to fill more fluid in the line.

BTW, how new are the RX, and K24, as the lever get firmer once it bed in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I went by my lbs today to ask this question but they didn't know of a solution. I really don't think this is how the brakes are supposed to be because unless I adjust the levers all the way out I can easily pull them down to the bar, which really leaves only one setting that works, all the way out. I don't like the way it feels or looks. I am going to try to remove that spring clip from the calipers and then bleed the lines and try to force a little extra fluid into them to close the gap between pads and rotors. I'll post an update if it works.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcloaf
    I went by my lbs today to ask this question but they didn't know of a solution. I really don't think this is how the brakes are supposed to be because unless I adjust the levers all the way out I can easily pull them down to the bar, which really leaves only one setting that works, all the way out. I don't like the way it feels or looks. I am going to try to remove that spring clip from the calipers and then bleed the lines and try to force a little extra fluid into them to close the gap between pads and rotors. I'll post an update if it works.

This just all the sudden happen, how did it feel when you first get them.

Members who have read this thread: 0