Brake set up options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Brake set up options

Not trying to start yet another "BB7-vs-the world of hydo's" thread just trying to get a little input....although any input is welcome.

I'm curious about how close in performance these two particular setups would be....

Avid Juicy 7's with polygon rotors

BB7's w/
    Avid Ultimate levers
    Avid G3 clean sweep rotors
    Jagwire Ripcord housing/cables (full length housings of course)

When I see a lot guy/gals on the forums using BB7's on some high end...custom even...rides it just makes me wonder. I understand that a lot of this is preference in modulation, newness to or experience with the sport, ease of conversion (i.e V's to disc), etc.

Thanks in advance...
    "Just remember, all bikes have front suspension once you put your hands on the handlebars!" - 1SPD

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    FWIW, I just went to hydro's on one bike. Been riding BB7 for 4 seasons and still have them on one bike.

For me, the BB7's stop pretty damn well. The hydro's I bought are the stroker carbons so I have zero experience with the Juicy line. One difference for me is that I get a little better stopping power from one-finger braking with my hydro's over the BB7. However, the big difference is modulation. I've set up my BB7's multiple times on different bikes over the years and have never been able to get them to the level of modulation that my hydro's have. What I mean by that is when going through a really steep section where I want just a little braking force, it is easier to not over-brake (is that a term?) with the hydro's. It is just easier for me to apply the right amount of braking force with the hydro's.

I am running 180f/160r with the hydro's and 185/185 with the BB7's. I find that over-all stopping power seems to be better on the BB7's. Not by much but.

For reference, my BB7's are set up with Jag's Ripcord, teflon cables, speed dial levers and G2 or G3 rotors. For about $50 price difference between the two sets. I was apprehensive in moving to hydro's due to all of the bleeding and issues that people have posted about them. I haven't needed to bleed them yet but if I were to start all over, I'd buy hydro's from the start. assuming that the price was close. I wouldn't spend an extra $200 for hydro's unless I was freeriding or riding DH.

BTW, the ultimates might be nice but if you're not open to the speed dial levers, just go hydro's for that price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the input!

The Ultimates aka SD Ultimate aka Blak Ops are speed dial levers and one of the reasons that I pose the question is that I already have them and they look so so very sexy.

You mentioned "over all" stopping power was better on the BB7's....due maybe to the larger rotors? Are you saying that your BB7 setup may bite better and with your Hydro's, the feel is better and you can finesse things better?
    "Just remember, all bikes have front suspension once you put your hands on the handlebars!" - 1SPD

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    blak, if you already have the Ultimates then you might as well use them.

Yes, yes and yes to your questions. I would go with the hydro's I have due to the feel. My BB7's do stop me just as well though. Maybe slightly better but when I have needed to grab a handfull of brake with the hydro's, they didn't let me down. I spent some time to bed them prior to use but I feel they are getting better with more rides.

T.W.O.
    BB, I'm running the same set up as you with BB7, I'd say at best it's 70% of Juicy 7 performance. Hydro provide smooth, and constant pressure through out the stroke, Mech is different.

Although, on some occasions the mech lever feel pretty cool, as the feedback is stronger, but then again it require much more pressure for threshold braking. Which can interfere with fluid riding, it's not cool when trying to relax your hand but have to squeeze hard while pushing the bike out in front of you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ok.....I never thought of it in those terms. Good info. Thank fellas!

Members who have read this thread: 0