Brake and removing tire question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Brake and removing tire question

I have avid single digit ti v brakes and everytime i remove a tire the brakes "loosen" up. At first i would barely have to pull on the brake to make my bike stop but now i have to pull all the way back. Does anyone know what is happenign? How to fix it. I have an 08 Rockhopper if that matters

~Disc~Golf~
    hmmm, weird, nothing should change.
    Are all of the housings in their proper stops?
    do you undo the noodle before wheel removal?, or do you force the tire between the pads?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yes i undo the nooble before removing the wheel. and not sure what housings are?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by david123
    Yes i undo the nooble before removing the wheel. and not sure what housings are?
    The sheath that holds the cable

mtbr member
    May 2010
    it looks like it is in the correct place. I saw an allen wrech screw that was loose so i tightened it up and now my from right brake is sticking to the rim..

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    it looks like it is in the correct place. I saw an allen wrech screw that was loose so i tightened it up and now my from right brake is sticking to the rim..
    That is to center the brake. It should be neither tight nor loose. Adjust it so the brake does not rub on the rim.

I suspect the cable housing has come out of one of the stops on the top tube.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    That is to center the brake. It should be neither tight nor loose. Adjust it so the brake does not rub on the rim.

I suspect the cable housing has come out of one of the stops on the top tube.
    or even possibly, the housing ends weren't flushed properly, or the ferrules and/or housings weren't seated in the stops correctly at the time of the original install.

OP, make sure the cable runs are correct and everything is in place - If it's still loose, pull the slack out at the brake arm (loosen pinch bolt, pull cable, retighten.)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    or even possibly, the housing ends weren't flushed properly, or the ferrules and/or housings weren't seated in the stops correctly at the time of the original install.

OP, make sure the cable runs are correct and everything is in place - If it's still loose, pull the slack out at the brake arm (loosen pinch bolt, pull cable, retighten.)
    This is what the guy at my LBS shop told me to do. Im just nervous that i may do it too much and mess it up. Im pretty sure i stripped the break caliper tightening that screw too much that i thought was loose When i went to the LBS to get the guy to tell me what is wrong with it. I asked him if i could watch what he did so i could do it myself if it ever messed up again. And his response was "No! I'm not here to teach you a class on how to fix your brakes!" Real ***hole.

~Disc~Golf~
    This is what the guy at my LBS shop told me to do. Im just nervous that i may do it too much and mess it up. Im pretty sure i stripped the break caliper tightening that screw too much that i thought was loose When i went to the LBS to get the guy to tell me what is wrong with it. I asked him if i could watch what he did so i could do it myself if it ever messed up again. And his response was "No! I'm not here to teach you a class on how to fix your brakes!" Real ***hole.
    Yeah. what an A-hole...
    Listen, ya gotta learn to do this shyte yourself...
    Start by reading up at parktools )http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=21 - Pay no mind w/ the 'required tools' AND then then come back with questions.
    -Bueno Suerte!

Members who have read this thread: 0