Brake pads for Avid Elixir R SL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Brake pads for Avid Elixir R SL

Hi. I have a StumpJumper Elite, with the "custom" Specialized Avid Elixir R SL brakes. I bought new pads for them, but when I put them into the calipers, there is no space left for the rotors. This is even with the pistons fully retracted into the caliper body. The replacement pads are OEM. I've even tried third-party pads, but those pads didn't even fit in to the calipers; the metal backings were too wide.

Has anyone else seen this, and if so could you post some advise?

Thanks very much,
    Brian Blanton

Meh.
    Did you push the pistons back into their bores before trying to fit the pads?

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    Im pretty sure the pads snap in, so you need to push them up into the calliper until you hear the click. Not doing so will keep the pads close together and possibly at a angle which prevents the rotor from properly going in.

maybe this can help http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...structions.pdf

Meh.
    Elixir pads are held in by a pin. That's not the issue. If you read, he says the issue is that the rotor will not fit with the pads in. He probably needs to reset the pistons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Assuming you have bought genuine avid pads, there are two possibilities....

Elixir pistons should sit flush with the body when fully retracted. If they don't go that far then there is too much fluid in the system. You can remedy this by using a small torx wrench on the bleed port on the calliper and loosening it by a 1/4 turn at most. Push the pistons back out while holding a rag on the bleed port to catch the escaping fluid. Tighten port, install pads and you're good to go.

If, however, you already have the pistons in the proper posi, then there is a fundamental problem with the brake (unlikely, but some can often slip past QC) Its a case of returning in that case
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I tried to be as accurate and complete as possible re: the description of the issue. If "even with the pistons fully retracted into the caliper body" is the same as "push the pistons back into their bores", then yes, XSL_Will, I pressed the pistons back until the head of the pistons is flush with the caliper body.

And we do not need to assume that the pads are OEM, because that's exactly what I said (The replacement pads are OEM).

Since the brakes worked perfectly when the bike was purchased, I do not think it is a fundamental problem with the units. It seems to me that if I can push the pistons back into the bores (proper terminology, now?), then there is not too much fluid in the system. My guess is that the pad thickness on the original pads is smaller than that of the OEM replacements, and perhaps this is related to Specialized'd "custom" R SL's.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Pretty sure Specialized "SL" brakes are only different because they have aluminum backed pads. Perhaps the backing is a different thickness than the ones you bought?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That's what I think. When I get home, I'll get the calipers out. Thanks. Brian

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    any answers on this? i am looking into pads for my set and am concerned that i should be looking for a special set of pads...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    XSL_Will was correct. the pistons were not completely pushed in. I've used Avid and KoolStop with no problems.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brianoblanton View Post
    XSL_Will was correct. the pistons were not completely pushed in. I've used Avid and KoolStop with no problems.
    awesome, thanks for the feedback, appreciate it !

Members who have read this thread: 0