Brake pads for Avid Elixer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Brake pads for Avid Elixer

My wife needs new brake pads every month. What pads last the longest? I am tired of constantly replacing these things.

mtbr member
    Something is wrong if you doing pads every month. I'm a heavy guy who rides hard and got a full season out of my Elixir organic pads with lots pad wear left.

Maybe a full bleed, caliber re-center is in order.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't think anything is wrong other than pad quality. She has had Avids on 2 Transitions Specialized and Gary Fisher and will waste them within 1 to 2 months riding time. I have to keep extra pads and extra bikes if we go camping anywhere. We did not have this problem with Hayes first generation but we ended up with Avids on LBS bikes. Is there pads that wear longer? Thnx...

mtbr member
    If you want pads to last longer I suspect you will end up with harder pads. The trade off you won't stop as well. Unless you are riding in mud or a lot of dry dust pads should be lasting longer than a month or two. EBC green perhaps.

Does she ride dragging the brake?
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Never trust a fart
    Sounds like she rides the brakes too much. Be cheaper for her to change her braking habits.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Sounds like she rides the brakes too much. Be cheaper for her to change her braking habits.
    This can depend on where and what a person rides and the rider's size. If a person rides where there's 300' of climbing and descending on average, brakes should last longer, perhaps a season or more. If you are a gravity freak or have 2000'-3000' of climbing and downhill most rides, brakes will wear quicker. While a month or 2 seems short for a set of pads, it is what it is. I'm a 200lb plus, riding an XXL 29 and I get about 4-5 months out of a set of rear pads and 6-7 out of the front but I know I need to work on technique to get the wear more even.

Cliffs: Try the sintered metallic pad with the Elixers.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the tip on EBC Green, I will give them a shot. She rides a combination of AM Trials and DH and Dirt Jumping in mud and wet sandy areas. She rides very aggressive and tends to destroy forks and shocks also. Is there better quality shocks than Fox? Already rebuilding RP-23 after 6 weeks. AGGG!!!

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven Trials
    Already rebuilding RP-23 after 6 weeks. AGGG!!!
    PUSH!
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Members who have read this thread: 0