mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Brake Differences

I don't know a great deal about brakes, but I am looking at two hardtails at this time. One comes with Hayes HFX-9, Hydraulic with 6" rotors and the other bike comes with Avid BB-7, Mechanical with 6" rondagon rotors.

Which brakes do you think are better and why. These brakes are both on hardtail bikes.

Meh.
    HFX-9 has durability issues and no modulation. Avid BB-7 is better, easy to set-up, easy to adjust.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hill
    I don't know a great deal about brakes, but I am looking at two hardtails at this time. One comes with Hayes HFX-9, Hydraulic with 6" rotors and the other bike comes with Avid BB-7, Mechanical with 6" rondagon rotors.

Which brakes do you think are better and why. These brakes are both on hardtail bikes.
    The Avids are a top of the line mechanical brake.

The Hayes are a middle of the road hydraulic brake.

Some peoples opinion are that the hayes have no modulation, I adjsut to that by not pulling as hard with my fingers (Manual modulation )

I have never been a fan of the effort required to engage mechanical brakes, and would take the Hydraulics in a second.

Hydraulics take a bit more mechanical knowledge for setup, but durability on both is good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

hayes vs bb7

I've got identical bikes, one with bb7s and one with Hayes 9s. I just got back from Moab with my bb7 ride and I loved every minute of it there. Modulation? Sheeit, all I know is that I could stop quickly when I wanted to with minimal effort and could dial the pads in or out to either adjust my lever feel or get rid of pad rub. I just rode my Hayes bike and liked the lever feel, but, dam sam, I wish I could dial out the pad rub! One of these days a brake manufacturer will design a hydraulic brake system that a rider can dial out that confounded pad rub like I can with my bb7s and that sucker will set new sales records for all the frustrated hydro pad-rub victims. I know there are reasons why hydros are "better" but it drives me nuts knowing I can stop "just as well" with my bb7s but have to put up with pad-rub with my Hayes.

For the technotypes out there--why the heck CAN"T a hydro system be designed to be dialable like my bb7s????? Is there some real-world fact that just makes it impossible to do this, or are the hydro makers just lazy and think the status quo is OK??

Bottom line is--I like my bb7s more than my Hayes. There, I said it.

Members who have read this thread: 0