Brake cable adjustment, BB5 ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Brake cable adjustment, BB5 ?

My rear BB5 isn't working. The orange knob will not turn anymore so pad is as close as it will goto the rotor so does that mean the pads are worn or can an adjustment to the cable help?

It'll help slow me down but basically will not bring me to a stop.

If it's the pads, I may just order a BB7 since I plan to build up parts for a new frame next year.

Will the BB5 rotor work w/BB7 or is the rotor for the BB7 different? Just wondering...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    the BB5 rotor will work fine with the BB7, you could even use magura, hope, hayes, shimano or formula rotors if you wanted to... most rotors will work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    The way I see it right now, if my bike is too heavy, then I'm too weak!

XC Ground Pounder
    Go for it. You'll see a marked improvement with the BB7s too. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you can get a front/rear BB7 combo pretty cheap (might as well, if you're building up parts for the new frame) from Jenson or Cambria. Keep a look out.
    Well, since they gave us a KHS forum, I guess I have to come up with something else for a sig.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    BB7 & BB5 Installation and Setup Guide: http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/2006_BB5and7_English.pdf

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    as long as pad extends into the gap where the rotor would sit you can just recenter your caliper and get some more life out of your pads.
    I don't wear a helmet, I wear a turban protector!

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    Loosen the CPS bolts slightly, now press hard down the lever and tighten in 1/4 increments until tight and secure. Torque if you want. Now adjust outboard pad with barrel adjustor's and back out inboard pad.

Members who have read this thread: 0