Braided hoses- Mtbr.com

Thread: Braided hoses

Oji
    Jun 2008

New question here. Braided hoses

Thinking about springing for braided hoses and have two questions.

1) From real life experiences, are braided hoses a worthy upgrade or just hype?

2) I've been to the Goodrich web site, but can't seem to make their shopping cart function work (cookies are definitely enabled on my computer). Is there a USA distributor for their hoses? I need the kits for XT M775 brakes.

Thanks,
    Cliff

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'd love some info on this as well, including how easy is the material to cut to length. I'm considering for my Hope M4s.

mtbr member
    I have done some research on this. Iam going to get the Hope Tech x2 brakes. There is a little weight added with the SSBraided line. If I remember its like 40 grams each. The line is covered in a clear plastic covering so the hose won't cratch your frame or fork. Also from what I've read very easy to cut to lenght. The kits are pricey as they are sold by front kit or rear. Here is a link to a shop that sells hose kits. This shop is in my home town and they do alot of sales via internet. Hope this help you both out!!!

http://aebike.com/product-list/hope-...its-t666-qc30/
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

...idios...
    1) From real life experiences, are braided hoses a worthy upgrade or just hype?
    There is less expansion under braking with braided hoses. It's not a night-and-day difference, but it's there and I would consider it a benefit. Whether this benefit is worth the money and effort for anyone else, is not for me to decide.

Here's a photo-guide for fitting/shortening Hope's braided hose.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    being a motorcycle guy, braided lines are a HUGE improvement in my case.. now a 30-45lb bicycle may be fine with plastic/rubber lines.... the braided will most certainly help in feel/modulation and will last ALOT LONGER..... my ASX came with them and thats a good thing in my book.....IMHO its a worth while improvment....

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    I'd love some info on this as well, including how easy is the material to cut to length. I'm considering for my Hope M4s.
    I have braided on my Tech M4s and one finger will throw you over the bars if applied too strong

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was thinking about this as an upgrade to my hope x2 pros. A guy at a LBS told me you will notice the improvement more on your rear brake since the hose is longer and has more opportunity to expand. Makes sense...

In the sport motorcycle world SS cables are almost a standard. I like to see motorcycle tech trickle down to our bikes...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickbee
    In the sport motorcycle world SS cables are almost a standard. I like to see motorcycle tech trickle down to our bikes...
    its not a STANDARD though... just like a bicycle its an AFTERMARKET PART....all bikes still come with rubber lines from manufacture....braides makes a HUGE difference in my case though on my zrx1100... and im sure it helps ALOT on my ASX that will soon have 203mm up front !! (more brakes up front, better braking, more modulation, all around GOOD)

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbo
    I have braided on my Tech M4s and one finger will throw you over the bars if applied too strong
    My Mono M4s with a 203mm front rotor already do that ... with rubber hoses.

I once upgraded a Ducati Monster with Brembo brakes from stock hoses to pre-cut braided. Sure looked a lot nicer, but didn't notice any performance increase. I may do it anyway as the original lines on my Hopes are pretty gnarly.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    On a MTB- braided hoses for XC type of riding is overkill. I ran Goodridge on my Magura Marta SL and went back to the Magura Disc-Tube...because I am a hopeless weight weenie. DH/FR is another story, though...
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    On a MTB- braided hoses for XC type of riding is overkill. I ran Goodridge on my Magura Marta SL and went back to the Magura Disc-Tube...because I am a hopeless weight weenie. DH/FR is another story, though...
    I'd be curious on the actual weight difference on a typical bike. 40gr per side makes no sense since there is a large difference in hose size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    First off, what are you trying to accomplish with the hoses on your XT 775 brakes, and what is your weight / riding style / rotor size?

I love the stainless line on the front of my motocross bike, but wouldn't bother on my Shimano brakes. I'm 230 lbs, very aggressive, and run 775s on my uphill bike, 775s with a Saint 810 front caliper on my FR bike, and full Saint 810s on my DH bike (all with 203mm rotors). If you're looking for more power or fade resistance, try a bigger rotor, different pad compound, Saint caliper, or Saint SM-BH80 hose (stiffer for 10-15% more power, according to Shimano).

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    I consider the Goodridge hoses one of my favorite bike upgrades. I would add them to my Elixirs but at the time the fittings were not available. Getting ready to order a set for my Maguras.

Highly recommend these hoses for the following reasons: The larger inside diameter of the hoses really makes for better fluid flow, the brakes really feel snappy compared to the stock hoses - no sense of resistance front or rear. The hoses are much easier to dress on the bike because they are more flexible, easy to cut, and none of that fighting kinks from being curled up in the packaging. Plus they look cool and come in colors if your into that sort of thing !
    Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"

Members who have read this thread: 0