Bleeding from levers vs. bleeding from calipers- Mtbr.com
    No Tail-Just a Nub

Bleeding from levers vs. bleeding from calipers

I'm installing a replacement rear xtr (975) caliper (sticky pistons), and am wondering what the pro's and con's are of adding oil to the lever/reservoir end vs. adding it at the caliper end when I bleed it, given the context (the brakes were all set up, and I just removed the old caliper and let the rest sit). Anything else I should think about to save me from ???

Thanks for the insights.
    (insert favorite Ed Abbey quote here)

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    so you haven't opened the lever reservoir (you still have vacuum and hose is full)? you will probably need to drain it anyway (since the caliper needs do be filled...

I prefer to fill from the caliper with a syringe holding it vertical to reduce the chances of air getting in...

No Tail-Just a Nub

filling the caliper

the reservoir end hasn't been touched yet...and you are getting at the kind of thing I was wondering about...

...does the fact that I have a (likely) unbroken line of fluid from the reservoir down to the end of the hose, but an empty caliper, change the best way to do this...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    no really, well you could try to do it "Shimano's way"... by connecting the caliper and then opening and closing the valve to let air out little by little

however, I'd just open the reservoir and catch the oil on a recipient...and fill the whole thing from the caliper with a syringe....

No Tail-Just a Nub

soft to semi-firm after one ride - now what?

So I replaced my rear xtr caliper and bled that brake. I couldn't get all the air out that day, so they were soft with mushy engagement. I still went out and rode, and by the end the ride, the engagement was much firmer, although the rear wasn't as stiff as it used to be, or as stiff as the front. It works pretty well...now is there anything else to do to follow up/improve the situation, short of redoing the thing? That is, should I see if I can get some air out at either the caliper end or the leve/reservoir? I guess I am wondering about a "partial bleed" or some such critter, and I'll stop now before demonstrating more of my ignorance about hydraulic brakes

Meh.
    Just do a full bleed. Not worth taking chances with your brakes.

If you take it to your LBS they probably have a reservoir clamp. So they can force fluid from the caliper up (carrying any bubbles with it). It's fast and works very well.

If you have somebody to help you out, you can do the same...ish. While forcing fluid up from the caliper, have somebody suck it up from the reservoir so it doesn't overflow. Then while somebody fills the reservoir draw a slight suction at the caliper to pull out any bubbles. Then push some more fluid through. Top it off. Close it all off.

While you're bleeding, tap the caliper and hoses with a non-marring object. It'll dislodge some stubborn bubbles.

Members who have read this thread: 0