Beware eBay BB7 and Rotor packages- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Beware eBay BB7 and Rotor packages

Recently, I picked up some BB7's and "HS1" from a seller on eBay for $55.

What a great deal right?

Turns out the rotors are fakes. Myself and two other people on here have purchased these and I just thought I'd make a mention of it for anyone else in the market.

Here's the thread where I figured out mine are fakes.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/ro...ng-837598.html

The seller is "fibica_store" on eBay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've been following these threads due to the fact i also purchased HS1 rotors from ebay. I was suspect of the "genuineness" of my rotors so i sent an email to the seller, i received a quick response informing me that they are indeed genuine Avid rotors, manufactured in Taiwan for Giant. This particular seller told me they are a dealer for Giant and have access to bulk purchases and would send me photos showing the bulk packaging with the proper identifying markings. The above mentioned thread spoke about the uni-directional finishing of the fakes, my rotors are multi-directional, but have non-sharp laser etching. The seller told me to go ahead and use them until after the Chinese holiday and if i'm not satisfied they will kindly refund the purchase at that time. I have bought from this seller before and have not had any issues, I just wonder if they are legit in their answer or if i have fakes also.

The seller is "rockbros" on ebay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lolaralph View Post
    I've been following these threads due to the fact i also purchased HS1 rotors from ebay. I was suspect of the "genuineness" of my rotors so i sent an email to the seller, i received a quick response informing me that they are indeed genuine Avid rotors, manufactured in Taiwan for Giant. This particular seller told me they are a dealer for Giant and have access to bulk purchases and would send me photos showing the bulk packaging with the proper identifying markings. The above mentioned thread spoke about the uni-directional finishing of the fakes, my rotors are multi-directional, but have non-sharp laser etching. The seller told me to go ahead and use them until after the Chinese holiday and if i'm not satisfied they will kindly refund the purchase at that time. I have bought from this seller before and have not had any issues, I just wonder if they are legit in their answer or if i have fakes also.

The seller is "rockbros" on ebay.
    You'll notice in the thread I posted, that my seller had no argument, and gave me the excuse that they have a new supplier that must be selling fake HS1's. They offered to refund me $24.99 for my troubles.

I'm still getting BB7's for $43 after the refund, but it's a dishonest practice. Your seller at least went through the trouble of giving you a legitimate explanation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I at least feel there is a chance my rotors are genuine Avids, like you said, at least i got an attempt to explain the situation. Like i said, I've bought from them before and everything seemed cool, either that or the fakes are getting better quality.

mtbr member
    I was considering buying BB7's from Rockbros until I saw this feedback on ebay dated Jun-27-13 15:18, "these are copies has no avid makings on disc"
    AVID BB5 BB7 Elixir Disc Brake Rotor HS1 160mm 2pcs & Bolt (#400485202745)

I bought them from Jenson USA with a price match from pricepoint.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So essentially all of the BB7 and Rotor packages from Rockbros on ebay are not genuine, and are indeed knockoffs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    After comparing my rotors to known genuine Avids I'm convinced my purchase from Rockbros was the real deal, it was 10 months ago though, just my .02

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have a set that I ordered (from them) for an upcoming project and that whole "too good to be true" thing got stuck in my head. I hope they are some sort of OEM set and that they will work well without any squealing or failure. I'm reading things about grinding patterns on the surface of the rotors, laser etching colors, and lastly I saw a set of those alibaba knock offs and I was thinking i d been scammed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Not sure if the squealing is any indication of knock offs, I think that's more an avid thing, so I wouldn't go by that,haha

noob
    95% of what is on ebay bike component wise is counterfeit.
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    Anyone know if the calipers themselves are decent? I need an internals kit for some spare parts, and these sets are actually cheaper than the parts kits.

mtbr member
    Definitely glad I found this thread - that same seller has HSX 180mm's with a (slick looking) red insert. I was tempted to go with them just for the color (because Art's only has the black inserts) but after reading this I believe I'll pass.
    Trail: Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Farley EX
    Gravity: Nomad / Wilson
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    hi guys, sorry to grave dig up this old thread. But i too came across the ebay listing for bb7 kit for $55 also. I have read other post that mentioned the BB7 (calipers only) are good for the price but the rotors aren't good.

So what's your guys experience with the bb7 few months into using the calipers?

thanks so much
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Dr Seuss....

The White Jeff W
    You can get them for $55 from Blue Sky

https://www.blueskycycling.com/produ...otor-160mm.htm
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    You can get them for $55 from Blue Sky

https://www.blueskycycling.com/produ...otor-160mm.htm
    That's a single end. The deals being discussed are for both front and rear. I just bought a set for my wife's bike that included speed dial 7 levers, rotors, front and rear calipers, pads and mounting hardware for $70 shipped to my door. I don't care if the rotors are fakes, they'll server her better than the Tektro Novellas that they replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by trboxman View Post
    That's a single end. The deals being discussed are for both front and rear.
    My bad

I just bought a set for my wife's bike that included speed dial 7 levers, rotors, front and rear calipers, pads and mounting hardware for $70 shipped to my door.
    Killer deal! I paid $125 for the same set-up. Great brakes.
    No moss...

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator

Beware eBay........PERIOD

There are so many Chinese fakes on eBay - I no longer sell or shop there. These shops all pay their fees on time.....so eBay simply turns a blind eye to everything.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    There are so many Chinese fakes on eBay - I no longer sell or shop there. These shops all pay their fees on time.....so eBay simply turns a blind eye to everything.
    I agree. That's very unfortunate for both companies and or buyer. I' too am replacing my tektros. Have any of you guys compared your calipers to other bb7 calipers, any sig difference in looks& performance
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Dr Seuss....

Class Clown
    I don't know I mean brakes are rather important and bb7s are already pretty cheapa

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

That's a single end. The deals being discussed are for both front and rear. I just bought a set for my wife's bike that included speed dial 7 levers, rotors, front and rear calipers, pads and mounting hardware for $70 shipped to my door. I don't care if the rotors are fakes, they'll server her better than the Tektro Novellas that they replaced.
    Did your girlfriend pick these out? I'd rather buy real brakes for my wife.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ok then...thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Hi all. Just reading up thread regarding the Bb7 and rotors. For the most part seems like the calipers are real. Except the pads and rotors. There's a reputable seller AKACOKE selling the legit products PM me for the links
    After reading I'm purchasing from this seller.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1surf View Post
    For the most part seems like the calipers are real.
    Probably.

Beware eBay BB7 and Rotor packages-fashionable_style_mountain_bike_disc_brake_caliper.jpg

Beware eBay BB7 and Rotor packages-br263f00.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Mine were super cheap on ebay and they may be fake. They work great and I trust them. I've bombed some hills going 40mph+ and have never had a problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by orangegsx View Post
    Mine were super cheap on ebay and they may be fake. They work great and I trust them. I've bombed some hills going 40mph+ and have never had a problem.
    yea they aren't probably just replicas. From people that has purchased the calipers on ebay haven't yet noted that the calipers fail 8+ months. just reported that the pads and rotors aren't as good.

ya the first photo above would be one of those replicating the BB5/7 but not enough to actually stamp avid or BB on them.
    we'll see how it goes when they arrive.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1surf View Post
    yea they aren't probably just replicas. From people that has purchased the calipers on ebay haven't yet noted that the calipers fail 8+ months. just reported that the pads and rotors aren't as good.

ya the first photo above would be one of those replicating the BB7 but not enough to actually stamp avid or BB on them.
    we'll see how it goes when they arrive.
    Being fake doesn't automatically make something of a lesser quality and that it will fail.

For all we know the BB7's could be made in the same factory where that Chinese made ANS-02 brake is made, the two brakes might be basically the same except for the different name stamps and some color differences.

You can buy brakes from China and get anything you want stamped on them, I've seen brakes made by a certain Chinese company being sold by 3 different brands, the only difference between the brakes of the different brands was color and name/model stamps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    For all we know the BB7's could be made in the same factory where that Chinese made ANS-02 brake is made, the two brakes might be basically the same except for the different name stamps and some color differences.

You can buy brakes from China and get anything you want stamped on them, I've seen brakes made by a certain Chinese company being sold by 3 different brands, the only difference between the brakes of the different brands was color and name/model stamps.
    I agree..
    That's most likely what happens. As I have friends that have visited these manufacturers in Asia different industry but they will usually sell the nicest best quality to big name company (of course at higher price) but also sell to smaller companies as well. Some say OE some say OEM. From what i have read, it seem like a good deal to make the purchase. I feel like the rotors and pads aren't expensive to replace. And have not heard any bad things about the calipers. So doesn't seem like a bad choice.

mtbr member
    Calm down people.

Sram and its brands are, essentially, a huge contractor. They design stuff, order it overseas and sell locally under their brand. SRAM has very small production capacity.

Their manufacturers often have excess of product and are often selling that excess at places such as aliexpress or ebay. You essentially get the same product, just without the usual SRAM warranty.

Different manufacturers have different finishes or assembly/finish processes. Also Certain lots are meant for OEMs and not aftermarket.

I heard stories of people buying lots of Totems and Lyriks from SRAMs mfg at $100/pc. You just needed to buy at least a hundread of those and pay for shipping/customs.

This is in contrast to shimano, which makes most of its stuff. This is why aliexpress has about a million of avid/sram/rock shox listings, but virtually no shimano ones.

mtbr member
    So is RockBros a legit seller? They've got the full BB7 kit for a great price on Amazon. Strangely, they have their own website & charge $40 more for the same set.

Amazon.com : AVID MTB BB7 Front & Rear Caliper 160mm HS1 Rotor Speed Dial 7 SD7 Lever : Bike Brake Rotors : Sports & Outdoors

RockBros Sporting Goods

Or, Jenson has everything for $120, no worries.

Sidenote, are HS1 or G2 rotors preferable?
    "Here it is; I think bikes have a purpose."
    ~Gary Fisher

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by satur9 View Post
    So is RockBros a legit seller? They've got the full BB7 kit for a great price on Amazon. Strangely, they have their own website & charge $40 more for the same set.

Amazon.com : AVID MTB BB7 Front & Rear Caliper 160mm HS1 Rotor Speed Dial 7 SD7 Lever : Bike Brake Rotors : Sports & Outdoors

RockBros Sporting Goods

Or, Jenson has everything for $120, no worries.

Sidenote, are HS1 or G2 rotors preferable?
    I can't vouch for the brakes themselves, but I bought a set of rotors from them and have had no complaints.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I actually have a retail Amazon BB7 front caliper and a Rockbros BB7 rear caliper. They both seem to be functionally equivalent. My retail one came with a G2 rotor that I since replaced with HS1 front and rear. I also didn't notice a difference except that the HS1 squeel when cold. I use the stock pads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lolaralph View Post
    I can't vouch for the brakes themselves, but I bought a set of rotors from them and have had no complaints.
    I bought the full set with no complaints.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. If Rockbros. is legitimate, not sure how they keep their prices so low compared with everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by retswen View Post
    I actually have a retail Amazon BB7 front caliper and a Rockbros BB7 rear caliper. They both seem to be functionally equivalent. My retail one came with a G2 rotor that I since replaced with HS1 front and rear. I also didn't notice a difference except that the HS1 squeel when cold. I use the stock pads.
    Any reason you went with the HS1 rotors over G2?
    ~Gary Fisher

EAT MORE GRIME
    oh man never ever buy safety equipment on fleabay unless you know for sure it is not a bogus operation. cheap chinese counterfeits are everywhere

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by satur9 View Post
    Thanks guys. If Rockbros. is legitimate, not sure how they keep their prices so low compared with everyone else.

Any reason you went with the HS1 rotors over G2?
    The HS1 came with the Rockbros package so I figured I would have my rotors match.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I just ordered the Rockbros package and Jagwire Ripcords from Amazon, I hope it's legit. My continuous hayes HFX 9 problems are making me look forward to switching to mechanical.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    i just ordered the kit yesterday as well bb7 with g2 rotors for 62 delivered.I need another set of brakes to put my ld bike back together for my son.I only needed rotors and calipers i will pull the tektros i borrowed off my old bike and put the bb7s on my current bike.

Was going to get them from jenson but when i went there the corona store was closed because of spilled chemicals or something like that last week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My calipers, rotors, and levers arrived today. The font is slightly different on the calipers, it's very smudgy on the rotors. What ya'll think?

Caliper markings:
    0mm IS - 9b - 12MAR14T
    20mm IS - 9f - 10FEB14T

Rotor markings:
    A 08 JUL 11

Lever marking:
    23 dec13
    06MAR14

mtbr member
    Rockbros. offering may or may not be legitimate, but for the price I can't see how. I ordered from Jenson so I don't have to worry about it.
    ~Gary Fisher

Clueless Bastard
    Cutting off your nose to spite your face...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zeusrock1 View Post
    My calipers, rotors, and levers arrived today. The font is slightly different on the calipers, it's very smudgy on the rotors. What ya'll think?

Caliper markings:
    0mm IS - 9b - 12MAR14T
    20mm IS - 9f - 10FEB14T

Rotor markings:
    A 08 JUL 11

Lever marking:
    23 dec13
    06MAR14

What seller did you buy from? Looks like the same seller as me. The rotors are definitely fake but the calipers look real.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Everyone beware of seller Gobike168. Interesting thing is that his listing pictures have rockbros watermarks. I stumbled across this forum after already putting in the discs. I contacted him and he made me take a picture. I sent him one and he simply said it was the same one as in the listing (the fake one). Then I argued that it wasn't authentic and he finally agreed to partially refund me. He still said they were originals!

BEWARE SELLER GOBIKE168

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Chinese made fake brakes - what could possibly go wrong?

mtbr member
    How do you know the rotors are fake.
    I just ordered mine.

What do you look for in finding out fake calipers and discs?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Single direction etching, terrible stopping power extra hole on every section where it connects to the center for these in particular. The calipers look spot on,and even if they are fake I don't care because I stopping power is amazing. I'd probably return them as soon as possible possible as in my case they were useless. if you use them he will argue that you used them and he does not want to accept them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by domster26 View Post
    Single direction etching, terrible stopping power extra hole on every section where it connects to the center for these in particular.
    sorry for not understanding what you just said 😊 single direction etching? the ones in the picture doesn't seem like single direction to me. can you please explain?

am I better of using the discs that came with my tektro novella's than using the fake ones?

thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The OP mentioned it in his first post. Here is his thread devoted to it: http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/ro...ng-837598.html
    It basically means the fine brushed metal look only goes in a single direction, as apposed to an almost swirly appearance.
    I actually upgraded to BB7s from Novelas too. I couldn't get the BB7s to work fork the life of me. I had a whole thread about it: http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/bb...on-919998.html
    After struggling for a while, I took out the pads, and they were glazed. I was almost positive that was the problem (Which I'm sure it would've been), until I sanded them down and the stopping power was still terrible.
    I was on the verge of giving up when I decided to give the Tektro discs a chance. They worked great. I don't know what the problem was with the other ones was, even though I knew they were fake. I couldn't even feel a compromise in performance, and I'm the ultimate perfectionist. But I can't say for sure, since I've never tried different discs.
    You'll be fine with the Tektro discs, just make sure to check the calliper pads to make sure they're not glazed. Can you post the link of the listing?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That changes things, since it's a different seller and a different rotor, not the HS1. From the 1 picture of the rotor up close he has, I can't tell if the etching is multi-directional. The callipers look legit. I say go for it, set your limit at $65 with shipping. Otherwise, you can easily find another listing for that price. Once you get them, check pics online and if you can, your LBS to compare to authentic ones. If they look legit, try them and make sure they have good stopping power. If not contact the seller. You migh have to argue with him for a couple of messages since he won't just say they're fake He will probably give you an option of return or partial refund. Tell him you want a $20 refund if they're fake (Once again, he will refuse at first), and then can put on the Tektro rotors. If he doesn't comply, eBay will take care of it for you in a jiffy, since their service is great. I daresay it might be better if they are fake. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    I already got them for $58 shipped. Will see...

He used generic pictures of rockbros which I see everywhere in eBay and even on amazon... So who knows.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That's good. Wish you look! Feel free to PM me.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That's good. Good luck with everything and feel free to PM me with any questions!

thecentralscrutinizer
    After reading through both of these threads, I can't say I see that they are fake. My thoughts are that there is perhaps a QC issue with the finish of the rotors. It could easily be that SRAM/Avid has a wide range of finish acceptability on the rotors and perhaps these were lower end acceptable or maybe even rejects that someone overseas has paired with the BB7's. I have two rotors that I was running on my 29er and they have the heavier/coarser finish. I had no issue with their performance and have retained them as spares.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29
    2019 Surly Karate Monkey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by domster26 View Post
    That's good. Good luck with everything and feel free to PM me with any questions!

Thanks will do!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    sorry for not understanding what you just said  single direction etching? the ones in the picture doesn't seem like single direction to me. can you please explain?

am I better of using the discs that came with my tektro novella's than using the fake ones?

thanks again.
    I too am using my original tektro disc with new BB7 calipers. Works amazing and great stopping power. I can't say anything about the rotors since i only purchased the calipers itself. Up till now, the calipers are holding up. I read and used the Avid manual setup step by step and it all matches up. So as far as replicas or fakes, they're tuned, adjustable and setup exactly as should be according to Avid.
    Good luck.

mtbr member

Counterfeit BB7 Calipers, Rotors and Pads

I thought I would take a chance on the great price on Amazon for a 160mm HS1 Rotor, Speed Dial Levers and BB7 calipers (front and rear).

Of course they were not in the OEM packaging. Just bubble wrapped.

The rotors are of questionable orgin. The electrochemical/laser etching is not what I have seen on known OEM Avid rotors and the black paint on the edge wipes off onto a clean and dry shop towel.

The caliper cast bodies should be impression stamped with an identifier. One of the calipers I received is obviously a counterfeit. The other appears correct. Manufacturers will typical stamp code high stressed safety items for easy identification in the event there might be a recall. There is also an assembly date for the same reason.
    Beware eBay BB7 and Rotor packages-1a.jpgBeware eBay BB7 and Rotor packages-2b.jpg
    The adjustment rod is not like any I have ever seen. Most of the internal parts have a very poor fit and finish.
    Beware eBay BB7 and Rotor packages-3c.jpg
    The pads were a dead giveaway.
    Beware eBay BB7 and Rotor packages-5e.jpgBeware eBay BB7 and Rotor packages-4d.jpg
    The counterfeit caliper does not operate correctly. The action is extremely poor and not smooth at all. IMHO using these counterfeit calipers is a safety concern. I will not say who the merchant on Amazon was I purchased these from. I do not want my money back. I bought these just to see how bad they could possibly be. I was not disappointed.

I base this information on using and rebuilding dozens of BB7's on my bikes over the last several years.

Please be careful if you purchase these sets. Saving a few dollars is not worth it.

And I have no idea why the photos are upsidedown.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post

And I have no idea why the photos are upsidedown.
    whatareyoutalkingabout ?

they look fine to me

-Smarf, from Sydney

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    whatareyoutalkingabout ?

they look fine to me

-Smarf, from Sydney
    Oh Nooooo. Those folks halfway between the US and Sydney will see the photos sideways.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    My experience is a bit different: I bought both my $45 set of BB5s (not enough money for BB7s) and those $4 HS1s in September last year. 4000 km later, one rotor was replaced because the bike fell off a stand and warped the rotor so much I couldn't straighten it, the rest works flawlessly, no rotor wear visible.

Members who have read this thread: 6