better brakes / suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

better brakes / suggestions

just a quick question, i have a sirrus that has v brake's and i only have about 20 miles on them at the moment. i noticed they dont stop well yet and when i am coming to a stop they make a nasty sound almost like brakes in a car when they go metal to metal.
    i checked the pads and rims to make sure there was no rocks/aluminum shavings or other debris.should i ride it more is there a normal break in period? should i switch the pads.these v brakes look very cheap should i replace the whole setup with something better,i dont even know what brand these v brakes are as their website does not have a name listed . any suggestions would be helpfull thanks
    Last edited by 05kas05; 11-23-2010 at 11:05 PM.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    Yes brakes do take a while to "bed" in I believe it involves some rubber being built up on the metal rim. Pad alignment can make a difference to noise and performance. Yes 'good" pads do make a difference and can improve performance. I have seen Kool Stop Salmon recommended but I have only ever used the duel compound pads. In my experience there was not much dry braking improvement over the pads I replaced but they where quieter.

Ultimately to get better brake performance you may need better "brake arms", cables and levers. Cheap brakes tend to flex which decreases braking performance.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Members who have read this thread: 0