Best way to true a warped rotor?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Best way to true a warped rotor?

Have a brand-new rotor that is warped enough to where I can't keep it from rubbing. Getting a replacement, but I'd like to see if I can true this rotor and keep using it....what's the best method for doing this?

Thanks

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by tf5598
    Have a brand-new rotor that is warped enough to where I can't keep it from rubbing. Getting a replacement, but I'd like to see if I can true this rotor and keep using it....what's the best method for doing this?

Thanks
    I'd be interested in a solution too. I've gone through 2 rotors in less than 3 months due to slight warping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Short answer

The FAQ section at the top right corner of the page worked for me......... It was so slight, but with the recommendations made in the FAQ's, my ride is quiet!

-> SickLines.com <-
    Morningstar Drumstix work really well if you're looking for tools to help true rotors.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by tf5598
    Thanks
    Best way? Quickest? Cheapest? Take your pic - I've done 'em every way and wrote the FAQ at the top right.

Cheapest - fingers, then clean your finger oils off with isopropyl alcohol.
    Quickest? Probably an e-cheapo dollar store (clean) adjustable wrench clamped in place.
    Best? Morningstar Tools Drumstix is the best - two tools to isolate the warp and one tool to do the adjusting.

Old man on a bike
    Hope you guys kept those old rotors, especially once you figure out how easy it is to true a rotor, you should be good for a long time before buying more, they don't wear all that quickly.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Meh.
    Just about all rotors come out of the box/bag tweaked a little bit. Most rotors are stamped, not laser cut.

Above mentioned techniques all work.

Double-metric mtb man
    Ditto regarding the techniques.

Also, I've found that the larger the rotor, the bigger the initial warping seems to be (makes sense from the engineering side of things and the manufacturing process). Take your time and be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to truing....it does wonders.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Take your time and be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to truing....it does wonders.
    Talking about perfectionism - I've used my Morningstar R2OC Tech to get the rotors within three thou. Visually that is perfection but of course it's taking things to the silly extreme as the first time the rotors heat and cool they'll be more warped than three thou. But it becomes somewhat like climbing a mountain "because it's there".

To the original poster - throw a white card on the floor under the bike and sight down between pad and rotor to see the wobbles.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Thanks guys! That FAQ has done the trick.

ballbuster

... works as well as...

Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Morningstar Drumstix work really well if you're looking for tools to help true rotors.
    ... a small crescent wrench.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... a small crescent wrench.
    That will not work as well. With the drumstix you isolate the problem with the two stabilizer forks, then adjust it with the other tuning fork.

Using just a cresent wrench does work, but not as well as you end up bending parts of the rotor you don't need to be adjusting which can amplify the problem.

Nothing here
    a crescent wrench will work fine. You just need to tweak ever so slightly and it's good. It takes a lot less force than you would think to make a change.

Members who have read this thread: 0