Best Lightweight brake for St George- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best Lightweight brake for St George

I am planning on getting a Turner RFX in the coming months for riding here in St George Utah. I am 165 lbs and am trying to keep the weight on the bike low since i am coming from a lighter bike. Price is low on the totem pole compared to feel and stopping power and weight. I was looking at the Avid Juicy Ultimates because they are light and several people have told me when set up right they can have plenty of stopping power. I do lots of climbing but also will be riding alot of downhill (and drops) and going to Deer Valley/Brianhead to hit the chairlift. anything has to be better than the old Hayes Mag 9's i have now. Several of the riders here ride the Juicy 7's and Codes and some of them have recommended the Formula Oro's. Thoughts on this ? If no lightweight brakes will fill the bill then i will go for something heavier I was just hoping to find a lighter brake with great modulation and stopping power that is not as heavy as the Codes for example.

Meh.
    It's either the Mag or the 9, not both. Just about everything is better than the HFX-9. Poor modulation, poor quality, etc.

I've had a few sets of J7s and have been happy with them. Some people had lots of trouble (I believe many of these issues to be problems with set-up).

Shimano XT brakes are pretty solid, as are the Magura offerings, though I don't think the Marta would get along well with extended DH runs.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    shimano brakes are a great price/performance, magurea makes awesome brakes (Louise would seem appropriate on your case)

the formula are somewhat expensive but get glowing reviews

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Get some Oro puro's and put sintered pads in, run 200/180 and you won't get a lighter setup that offers such performance. Formula are releasing a new brake soon "the one" that is light, and it's a DH brake- maybe you could run180/160 with that. Purely on design i like the look of the Hayes stroker carbons aswell, but can't comment on them beyond that.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    sounds like I need to look into the formulas. when you say 180/200 you are speaking grams in weght right? if someone can tell me the strokers are great then maybe I will try them but I have had so many hayes brakes over the years and kinda want to try something new.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep
    sounds like I need to look into the formulas. when you say 180/200 you are speaking grams in weght right?.
    he means rotor sizes: 200mm in the front and 180mm in the rear....

mtbr member
    duh. ok I was planning on running 7" rotors. all the guys around here run 7's. I can't remember why they do this.

No, that's not phonetic
    The Formulas are pretty grabby and bigger rotors exacerbate this. I think you would be fine with 180mm in front and 160 in back. You are only 165# after all. Otherwise the Oros are very nice brakes.

Magura Louises are also superb, and that's all I run. They are not as powerful in a given rotor size as the Oros, however.

Juicys can be very nice, but they commonly have resonance (odd vibration) issues. If you get them set up, they feel great and can be very powerful.

A lot of Shimano brakes feel awesome too. One of the nicest feeling brakes I have ever ridden was the new XT with the radial master cylinders. Wow. Sex with a lever.

The Team Sanchez boys would be happy to let you try their bikes out and see which brakes feel good to you. Call em up.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Do the Louises have better modulation ? Are they lighter? why run them over the Oros if they are so sweet. CrashtheDog recommended the Oros on the Turner Goose ride that one day.

Bodhisattva
    Price no object? Then go with Horse's suggestion.

Formula Oro Puro. Replace the pads with sintered compound. 180 F & R to start. Puros will shave a few grams but carries a big up-charge. My suggestion would be to get Biancos and don't worry about the 100gm difference. FWIW, Crash The Dog in St.G has these brakes.

I started with a 203mm rotor on my Bianco but it was too powerful & grabby and send me into front-end skids. The 180/180 rotor combo works great on my 6" bike.

mtbr member
    100grams per brakeset or 100 grams in the front and 100 grams in the back ? Yeah Crash was one of the first people to tell me to get these. So they are super powerful and have good modulation ? Arent they the same price as the Ultimates ?

Bodhisattva
    Total weight difference for a set, front & rear, of Puro v. Bianco is roughly 100gm, or less than a quarter pound.

Biancos...
    Super powerful? Depends on rotor size, but yes. 180/180 is more than enough brake for Rocky Mtn 3000' steep descents without fade or overheating

Good modulation? It's hard to have both superb modulation & superb power. Generally speaking, these are inversely related. I found the 203mm Bianco to be super poweful but grabby (read: didn't modulate well). For my weight of 165 lbs, the 180/180 is the sweet spot.

Feeding your addiction
    100grams per brakeset or 100 grams in the front and 100 grams in the back ? Yeah Crash was one of the first people to tell me to get these. So they are super powerful and have good modulation ? Arent they the same price as the Ultimates ?
    I agree on the Formula's...light, very powerful, and reliable. I like the Avid's too, but no way I'd take those over the Formula personally.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    So the only reason to take the Puros is weight over the Biancos?

Bodhisattva
    So the only reason to take the Puros is weight over the Biancos?
    With stock compound, Puros aren't as powerful. If you replace the stock Puro pad with the sintered pad then performance is the same.

Puro offers:
    carbon blade (which ergonomically I don't like)
    Titanium bits
    organic pads
    metal line

Bianco offers:
    1-finger DH lever
    sintered pads

The castings for the master & slave are the same for all "Oro" brakes.

mtbr member
    What kind of compound is best for dusty and sandy abundant St George? I swear the fine dust makes my old Hayes Mags moan and makes tons of racket.

Bodhisattva
    What kind of compound is best for dusty and sandy abundant St George? I swear the fine dust makes my old Hayes Mags moan and makes tons of racket.
    Ask your local pals

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I have never found the Utah dust to be a big performance issue with my brakes. However, I have had to replace a few sets of pads due to travelling with my bikes on my T2. I am pretty sure the chemical snow melter junk they put on the roads contaminates brake pads. I now cover my calipers when I might encounter snowy roads. Also, that gooey "anti-dust" substance they spray on the dirt roads in Fruita is pretty nasty and I imagine could foul a set of brake pads.

JMH

mtbr member
    I dont know that my brakes are affected other than the loud noise they make when dust gets in there. Hayes were never known to be quiet though....at least not the Mags.

No, that's not phonetic
    CrashTheDOG's Formulas squeaked and squealed due to dust. I was surprised by this since the Formula's pad retraction is pretty significant and it seemed like they should not make contact. My Maggies don't retract as much but never squeak in dry conditions.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

For Utah?

I'm confused. Brakes work everywhere. Maybe the elevation impacts them? No, I know what you are saying, but I really believe you can no longer hardly buy a bad brake. I am riding XT right now....old ones. Work great! Church mouse quiet and modulation incredibly well. What is not to like? Hmm. I have ridden Maggies. Decent brake but you had better keep 'em bleed very well. Bike shops are confused by how to work on 'em...as was I because they rubbed like crazy. Juicy 7 are nice but squeel like a pig in the wet. So many brakes so little time.

Jaybo

banned
    Sep 2007
    I run a 6" Bionicon Edison, run Formula K18's with 180mm rotors. I weighed 255 when I got the bike and did plenty of vertical on it at Mammoth Mountain off the top. If $$$ saved is more important than weight saved... get the K18's. I'm running their organic pads, which are really high performance semi metallics. If they stop me, they'll stop you... the limiting factor will be how good your tires and air pressure match the local conditions. They can be a bit noisy, it the pads get overheated and form a glaze on the surface. Look for a good tire that performs super in your local riding conditions, and you will be very happy with Formula K18's, because the tire, not the brake, will become the limiting factor or the weakest link.

Members who have read this thread: 0