Best brake?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Best brake?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Best brake?

I am thinking about upgrading my brakes on my trail bike? Any opinions on what brake I should get? I ride primarily on xc type trails - nothing to extreme - so I need something that is fairly light but stops well.

banned
    Still more info is needed.

Luckily, most brakes out there work very well at this point. The issue at hand is that some have shortcomings for some riders that don't exist for others, such as resistance to fading, modulation, and overall power.

There are examples where very powerful brakes are poor when they get hot. Some have tons of power, and are on/off, which is not a worry for extremely heavy riders or DH (in some cases).

So how much do you weigh, your bike, etc?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    as JC says we need more info... just like that, it is like asking what is the best brand of underwear?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I am loving plain old vanilla Shimano XT 765 brakes

I have ridden many brakes and have never found one brake as easy to use as Shimano XT 765. They never rub, are silent, and stop me. Best I have tried thus far.

Jaybo

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I have ridden many brakes and have never found one brake as easy to use as Shimano XT 765. They never rub, are silent, and stop me. Best I have tried thus far.

Jaybo
    me too... but my new 770s also rock

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    as JC says we need more info... just like that, it is like asking what is the best brand of underwear?
    Well, I like Hanes personally.. but on the topic of breaks, I'm running juicy carbons and they seem to be pretty nice. I'd go with Juicy 5's or higher.

banned
    Based on???

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I ride a K2 Lithium that has 5" of travel - I weigh 170lbs - I generally ride mostly XC trails - right now I am using Hayes 9 disc brakes but am having trouble with them - My front and back brakes never feel the same - the back brake lever almost goes to the bar under heavy braking - I have been to my LBS mutliple times - even replaced a master cylinder and still no luck - A friend of mine said I should change them to Avid Juicy7's

banned
    I'm a big Hope fan and if you're looking for bang for the buck, the Hope Mono Mini is on sale right now at places like Jenson.

People will recommend Juicy brakes, but they've been a nemesis for many, including myself.

Hope's line is quality made with lots of metal and not plastic, bleeding is incredibly easy and fast and doesn't require special equipment. At your weight, I would have no trouble recommending them.

Many are having a great experience with Magura Louise brakes. The Hope Mono M4 is on sale as well and an incredible bargain. I would never recommend juicy brakes, especially to someone that has had a problem with Hayes.

One Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Many are having a great experience with Magura Louise brakes.
    Do the Louise brakes have pad adjustment and reach adjustments? Has anyone seen the 2008 XT brakes for sale anywhere? I've been leaning in the direction of the XT's, but they are difficult to find right now. TIA

banned
    XT's are great, too.

I think all brakes have reach adjustment in the lever pivot. Pad adjust is only on the BAT models, I believe on Maggie. IMO, pad adjustment isn't a dealbreaker. Avid tried it with their speed dial and it didn't do much. There is no substitute for a well-designed brake. I have BPC on my front Hope and I never use it. Had Juicies7's and they were only complicating the preexisting problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The new stroker trails are pretty sick, but im having a bit of trouble get them dialed in just right. Otherwise, they have amazing stopping power.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Another vote for Shimano XT hydros here.

I AM I AM
    I like Shimano XT's (the M765) not sure if I would say they're the best though.
    Just ordered a set from CRC to replace the strokers that would come on the next bike I buy

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by rallen4444
    Best brake?
    There is no best brake. This site IS "Mountain Bike Review" so nip over to the Review section and start reading what real people have to say about their brakes. Throw out a few highs and lows (some people make their own problems or are psycho. Trust me; I used to moderate the review sections daily for a couple of years) and decide your criteria for a good brake and you'll probably find the best brake for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Formulas new brake called "The One" looks interesting, as light as the Oro's with more power and all the adjustments. A British mag just scored it 10/10. Probably won't be that cheap though if thats a concern.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Two wheels are best
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I would never recommend juicy brakes, especially to someone that has had a problem with Hayes.
    I would have to agree with you on this. I've been running J7's (2005) on my bike since 11/04 and have constant problems with them. Nothing that ever kept me from riding...just constant noises of one sort or the other, sticking levers, etc.

Paula's '07 Stumpy Expert has '07 J7's and I can already tell that my J7 troubles haven't been fixed in the past 2 years or so. She's had the bike a whole month now I had to work on the sticking rear caliper before Sunday's ride!
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

Members who have read this thread: 0