Bent rotor, worth fixing or just replace? Or maybe upgrade brakes?- Mtbr.com
    Bikecurious
    Aug 2007

Bent rotor, worth fixing or just replace? Or maybe upgrade brakes?

My rear rotor is fairly warped. Its enough that in order to keep it from rubbing either brake pad I have to have the brakes so loose that I have to pull the levers all the way back to the grips and it still doesn't do much. So my options are basically to have my brakes so loose that they are pretty much non-functional, or to have the rotor dragging on the pads, which really helps alot on those long climbs! I have read that you can true a rotor, but how successfully, and is it worth the effort when a new rotor wouldn't cost much over $20 for a fairly decent one? Now here's my other dilemma: I've got an '05 Jamis Dakar sport with Avid BB5's on it. When pricing rotors I came across a great deal on the new '08 BB7's, $60 for brake and rotor. Would it be worth my while to just go ahead and upgrade altogether? From what I've read the BB5's are pretty much crap compared to the BB7's, but I don't have much to compare to personally. Thanks for the input.

Brant-C.
    upgrade!

my bb7's are great. not as smooth as my hydros but stop me just as well.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

Meh.
    BB7s are much nicer than BB5s. But it sounds like your rotors can still be trued. Read the FAQ in the top right corner.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Just trued a rotor on my BB7s, piece of cake. Just take your time and work carefully.

No Fear
    you can true it with an exchaingable wrench ( what do you call it in english ? Those wrenches with their mouth width could be adjusted i mean does . We call them frech wrench ).
    But take care not to imploy too much force or it'll bent vise versa.

Chilling out
    "flat jaw adjustable crescent wrench"

Park Tool also makes some dedicated tools for it, but I've been using short crescent wrench for years (er, at least since '02) without difficulty.

Sometimes a rotor gets whanged badly enough that replacement is the right thing.

20 for new rotor or 60 for rotor/caliper? If your UGI bug is itching, scratch, but 20 is a pretty cheap fix.

Bikecurious
    Aug 2007
    Well I decided to just go ahead and upgrade my rear caliper and rotor. Ebike has '08 BB7's for $45, couldn't pass that up. I think I'll practice truing this old rotor though. Thanks for all the input.

Members who have read this thread: 0