begginer brake question!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

begginer brake question!

to start off im new to the site...my names chad..and i ride a gt xcr 1000 i drive. this is my first bke and im only 16. i used to be into bmx but im moving on.
    alright my question to you guys isthat im looking into getting disc brakes but i dono where to start...do i need to get new wheels or will the ones i have work fine? do i need a new front fork or no? thanks a lot in advance!!

chad

...idios...
    Welcome to MTBR. Have you checked out the Disc Brake FAQ in the top-right corner of the Brake Time forum?

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    no i havnt lol.....wll check now thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    alright i looked at it and went and looked at my bike and im thinkin im gunna need a new fork and wheels...tell me what you think...heres sum pics

mtbr member
    you also have to make sure that your frame has disc mounting tabs on it so that you can mount the rear brake. if you fork doesnt have disc mounts it probably isnt worth getting a new fork because your just gonna end up spending a ton of money. a good set of properly set up rim brakes will provide you with plenty of braking power under most conditions.

...idios...
    Well, a new front hub/wheel for sure. Does the fork have a couple tabs with bolt holes at the bottom of the left (non-drive) side leg?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    no it does not....i was thinking of getting new wheels anyway and i think my uncle has a fork i could prolly get fer a decent price...and my rear has no tabs but i know they make a mount you can attatch

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by XCR_1000_Rider
    no it does not....i was thinking of getting new wheels anyway and i think my uncle has a fork i could prolly get fer a decent price...and my rear has no tabs but i know they make a mount you can attatch
    May be cheaper in the long run to just buy a new bike with disc brakes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I agree, the cost of the upgrades you are planning (wheelsets, brakes, levers, lines, fork) could easily run 700 or more. At that price alone you could find a entry/mid level hardtail with disc's and probably a Tora or better fork.

bi-winning
    it looks like you have some decent shimano v brakes anyways. i am going to jump onto the "it's not worth the $$$ to upgrade" bandwagon.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Going to have to vote for "its cheaper to get a new bike" too. I had a 00 Stumpjumper FSR with no disc tabs on the rear. I added up the cost of buying wheels, calipers and rear disk tabs modifier thingy. In the end, I sold my 00 Stumpy and together with the "upgrade" money got a newer, better bike which already had disc brakes.

A wheelist
    It's not worth it. Trust us. We've been here a long time.

Members who have read this thread: 0