BB7's always out of adjustment- Mtbr.com
    pain don't hurt

BB7's always out of adjustment

Every time I take my front wheel off, my front brake is out of adjusment when I put it back on. For example, I took my bike off the roof rack and put the front wheel, and it 'zings' and rubs the whole time. So, I stop and readjust. Later that ride, I got a flat on my front tire. When I mounted up the front wheel again, BAM! more 'zings' and rubbing. Once the brakes are setup, they're fine until I take the front wheel off. Any ideas?

BTW, if it matters my setup is:
    -Reba Team fork
    -185mm front rotor
    -Shimano XT hubs with Sun rims
    -Frame is Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboasT4
    Every time I take my front wheel off, my front brake is out of adjusment when I put it back on. For example, I took my bike off the roof rack and put the front wheel, and it 'zings' and rubs the whole time. So, I stop and readjust. Later that ride, I got a flat on my front tire. When I mounted up the front wheel again, BAM! more 'zings' and rubbing. Once the brakes are setup, they're fine until I take the front wheel off. Any ideas?

BTW, if it matters my setup is:
    -Reba Team fork
    -185mm front rotor
    -Shimano XT hubs with Sun rims
    -Frame is Specialized Rockhopper
    Is paint coming off your fork in the drop outs? Do you have a bent axle?

mtbr member
    These are a wonderful invention. I can't remember if it was shiggy or someone else that recommended them, but DAYUM! Thanks to whoever it was.

1 Up USA Quick-Nuts

http://www.1upusa.com/quicknuts.html

I use them on my skewers if i'm using hydros, mechanicals or v-brakes. It's just easier to already have it "preset".
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    These are a wonderful invention. I can't remember if it was shiggy or someone else that recommended them, but DAYUM! Thanks to whoever it was.

1 Up USA Quick-Nuts

http://www.1upusa.com/quicknuts.html

I use them on my skewers if i'm using hydros, mechanicals or v-brakes. It's just easier to already have it "preset".
    Yeah, I've been using them for years.
    "Don't criticize what you can't understand."

29er Geek
    Probably a dumb question, but when you re-instal the wheel are you giving the lever a good squeeze before you give 'er a spin?
    Last edited by tozovr; 12-20-2006 at 08:36 PM.
    unityhandbuilt

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by tozovr
    Probably a dumb question, but when you re-instal the wheel are you giving the lever a good squeeze before you give 'er a spin?
    That is exactly what I was thinking. A good solid squeeze usually sets my calipers. Also wiggling the wheel a little in the dropouts when the bike is rightside up will sometimes get it to pop back into the sweet spot.

mtbr member

This worked for me

Not sure exactly what's causing your issue, but I had the same problem, so maybe this will help.

Years ago a post suggested opening the quick release, rotate the axle 1/4 turn, then tighten the quick release. Repeat if it still rubs. In my case, the rubbing almost always stopped after 1/4 to 1/2 turn. If not, had to adjust the caliper.

Also bought a new rack so I didn't have to remove the front wheel for transport.

pain don't hurt
    Alright, thanks for the replies everyone. I'll look into this stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The lock nuts on the hub are not exactly perpendicular to the axle- so that rotating the hub in the fork will result in the wheel sitting slightly different. The difference is enough to cause rotor rub (more pronounced with larger rotor diameters). For years I have been marking the hub lock nuts with white paint so that I can always put the wheel back in the same place as when I aligned the caliper.

PS This trick only works on hubs that use a steel axle and threaded lock nuts. Had a set of WTB laser lites and they would never go back the same way- the "stub axle" caps would always change their orientation to on another and; hence, change the way the hub would sit in the fork.
    I bike; therefore, I work

Hmm..doughnuts

BB5's have same issue

My BB5 brakes do the exact same thing whenever I take the front wheel off. Through carefully examening the problem I determined that if my discs are touched even the slightest bit they are bent out of allignment, causing then to "zing" on the pads. Whenever I ride and give the fork any impact the same thing happens. I noticed the play in my fork is enough to wiggle the disc so that it rubs the pads when it normally would not. The discs are apparently so weak that they bend in this way. They can be straightened be physically pulling them back into centered allignment.

I never noticed the tension on the quick release playing a big factor in this (unless it is so loose your wheel will fall off).
    Need to find a cheap Marzocchi DJ3 fork cheap

Members who have read this thread: 0