BB7 vs Hayes Stroker Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

BB7 vs Hayes Stroker Trails

OK, I searched, found multiple threads mentioning BB7 and / or Hayes Stroker Trails, but no real comparison. I am currently using BB5's, and wish to upgrade them. I had been looking at upgrading to BB7's, as I don't have a huge budget, and from reading many posts on here they are great brakes.

But, then on another thread I saw a set of Hayes Stroker Trails being recommended, and while they are more expensive than the BB7's, its not that huge of a difference. So is it worth going with the Strokers over the BB7's?

Also, what is the difference between http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...kaging+09.aspx and this http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...x?SSAID=308186

Does the box really pretty much double the price?

Thanks.

I'm just messing with you
    FWIW, my Spot came with Strokers, now it has BB-7s. Since you've been looking at old threads, you probably know why.

You may find that "plain packaging" means "taken off a bike that didn't sell".
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

aka bOb
    I went from bb7's to Stroker Carbons and get rid of the cool factor of the Carbons and the weight difference, I like the bb7's more. Don't want to start the age old argument of hydro vs. mech though, it's just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Great, somewhat confirmed what I already suspected about hydro's. Most threads I had seen pretty much said that unless you can afford higher end hydro's that BB7's were the best bang for the buck.

Looks like I will be ordering some BB7's, looking forward to getting them since from what I have read they are a huge upgrade over BB5's. Also going to be picking up some speed dial levers to go with them.

Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I went from Shimano LX V brakes to BB7s on my Fisher Big Sur.
    BB7s that I've got work. The maintenace is easy. The adjustments are easy. The pad replacement isn't difficult. You can use any mechanical levers with them.

My new Kona Dawg has Hayes Stroker Carbons. I recently remounted them as I wanted to switch to 7" rotors. According to my friends they 'look cool' 'the carbon levers are totally sexy'. You can use one finger to brake or two if you want, you don't have to have a death grip on the levers. Setup for me during the remount was a royal pain in the rear end. The calipers wanted to walk from the desired point as you tightened them no matter how slowly or carefully you worked. The stock rotors with the sintered pads made a warbling noise during use. The front brake needed bleeding after only 4 months. Bleeding isn't too difficult but it is a lot more trouble than cable adjustment with the BB7s. During the rotor size upgrade we ended up sacrificing one set of the old pads for 'push pads' to help us push the pistons back in place and the other set are now in the pack for spares. Both sets were pretty chewwed up even though they had maybe half to 3/4ers of the pad life left. The auto adjustment feature of the strokers isn't great. When I got the brakes the levers had a little throw and got stiff pretty far from the bars. As the pads wore the levers had more throw and stopped much closer to the bars.

I like the hydros but I don't know that I'll be going with Strokers next time.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by naiku
    Great, somewhat confirmed what I already suspected about hydro's. Most threads I had seen pretty much said that unless you can afford higher end hydro's that BB7's were the best bang for the buck.

Looks like I will be ordering some BB7's, looking forward to getting them since from what I have read they are a huge upgrade over BB5's. Also going to be picking up some speed dial levers to go with them.

Thanks for the replies.
    Not really what I meant, I just like'em better then the Strokers which by the way are mid prices hydro. Now my XT 775's I looove them.

Live 2 Ride
    What's wrong with low end hydros? A few years back they were the high end.
    My Bike: '18 Giant Talon 3 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    What's wrong with low end hydros? A few years back they were the high end.
    Kona you still running those mx2's

Live 2 Ride
    Nope. I'm back to V-Breaks on a new bike until January. Then it's Hayes Hydros.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    id rather run my old crappy hayes nines than bb7's again. you cant get rid of the cable/compression feel of any mech brake. feels nasty.

i have stroker trails now too, no way you could con me into putting mechs back on!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    id rather run my old crappy hayes nines than bb7's again. you cant get rid of the cable/compression feel of any mech brake. feels nasty.

i have stroker trails now too, no way you could con me into putting mechs back on!
    We all know how you feel about bb7's Tomsmoto I would never go back to bb7's either but I would never go back to Strokers. Of coarse it could've been the way I set them up but my throw away xt's work great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

strokers came with the bike.. if i was paying i think id get some hopes.

Bruh
    I went from Hayes Soles to BB7s. I had mine bled once, they worked OK, but I won't go back to hydros unless it's for a higher-end set.

For the money, you can't beat BB7s. Easy to set up, easy to maintain, and for me, they've been trouble free.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i think we can demote soles and juicy 3's to "fluid brake like contraptions" not good representatives of hydros.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiku

Thanks for the replies.
    Speed dials and BB7s are a great combo
    If you want good stopping power get the 185mm up front and 160 in rear is good nuff.

Bruh
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    i think we can demote soles and juicy 3's to "fluid brake like contraptions" not good representatives of hydros.
    Compared to the issues other people say they had with Soles - mine weren't bad at all. Just lacked power.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by veritechy
    If you want good stopping power get the 185mm up front and 160 in rear is good nuff.
    Unfortunately at the moment I am stuck with a maximum of 160mm up front as well, Rock Shox Dart 3 lists 160mm as maximum rotor size. Eventually I want to switch the Dart out for something like a Tora 318, but that's going to have to wait a few months (especially after having to just shell out for 4 x new tires on my car).

Live 2 Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillon
    Compared to the issues other people say they had with Soles - mine weren't bad at all. Just lacked power.
    My Soles had plenty of stopping power.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    My Soles had plenty of stopping power.
    You also stated that your mx2's also had plenty of power. Sorry Kona but I think your street creds on brakes is gone.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by veritechy
    Those black brake teflon coated slick stainless cables from Jagwire are the shiznit as well. Things will feel mushy in comparison using standard galvanized cables, but those black teflon coated ones totally make the BB7 with Ultimates or Speed Dials a brake to reckon with due to the 30% or so less friction. My guess is many that give up on the BB7's have not tried these cables:

Front cable here
    Rear cable here

BB

Davir
    hayes carbon nines we have two sets one totally reliable so we bought a second set they were suicide brakes both front and rear had issues fix em up bleed em and go ride and say some prayers you may well need them. they sit in a box now like new no one wants to ride em . Im a cable bb7 guy from now on.

Davir
    If it works dont fu ck with it.

Live 2 Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee
    You also stated that your mx2's also had plenty of power. Sorry Kona but I think your street creds on brakes is gone.
    Considering that I rarely ride downhill and mostly urban I had plenty of stopping power. If you wish I can ask the guy I sold the bike with Soles to and he can verify they stop well. As for the MX2 there are plenty of reviews here on MTBR that state they have plenty of stopping power.

Believe what you wish. Use what you like. It's all about choices.
    Last edited by Kona0197; 11-14-2009 at 12:30 AM.

aka bOb
    Kona it's not just about stopping well it's about all the other factors, I think the mx2's are ok Heck I put them on my 9 year old daughters bike, they stop her 60 pounds just fine but don't really have any modulation. I guess for urban riding they would be fine but put dirt under the tires and they aren't very good. Heck the rim brakes I used a long time ago had enough stopping power. I know you are an avid basher of bb7's from your previous posts even though you really don't have any expierence with them.
    Last edited by bdundee; 11-14-2009 at 11:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was in this same spot a couple weeks ago, wondering which to get. My bike came with MX-4's, which weren't horrible, but had no modulation, and would fade quickly. I got the BB7's, 185 front, 160 rear with SD7 levers and XTR cables. Even though I've only had a few rides, I am happy. They work good, with a much broader range of control. I haven't hit any long downhills to check for fade, but would imagine with the bigger rotor and pads, it will be much better.

Live 2 Ride
    I know you are an avid basher of bb7's from your previous posts even though you really don't have any expierence with them.
    Yes I do. I borrowed a bike from a friend every time we rode for three years that had the BB7 brakes. I just happen to believe hydros are better. Others disagree. It's all good.

Members who have read this thread: 0