BB7 vs BB5 performance difference?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

BB7 vs BB5 performance difference?

Besides the adjustment and cost difference, is the BB7 really a better performing brake? Or were the BB5s just made for a lower price point for oem builds?

I have a new bike coming with BB5s on it and I'm wondering if it's worth even considering switching to BB7s at some point. I know some will say that if I'm going to upgrade go to hydros but I really like the simplicity of cables for maintenance and repair vs dealing with fluid.

Freshly Fujified

Negligable difference

My guess is that the difference will be negligable. The caliper mechanism is austensibly identical. If there are performance differences, it will probably be as the result of the different pads used in the two different models. From my perspective, the BB7 pad has more surface area. To me that means better stopping power. How much differnece? Again, my guess is negligable. Keep the BB5s unless you find they are problematic in some way.

Perhaps someone who has used both can chime in and give a fist hand reply.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    well, as someone that is built up many bikes in the shop that have come with BB5s, they suck.

in other words, i find the spring to be rather weak, leading to poor pad alignment...the outside pad, specifically. i wouldn't waste my time with them.

mtbr member

You hit it on the head, Inbred.

Got the bike this afternoon and Spent a few hours in the garage switching out a few bits, including a bigger rotor for the front brake.

The BB7s are a piece o' cake to set up. I've messed with them many times and I can get them zeroed in in just a few minutes now. The BB5s were a pain in the rear. The pad alignment difficulty might also have to do the smaller pads. Once they're setup and the pads are run in a bit they seem to work as well as the BB7s but they took considerably more fiddling to get set up right.

I may not replace them right away but I'm definitely going to watch for a good deal on an upgrade.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    My guess is that the difference will be negligable. The caliper mechanism is austensibly identical. If there are performance differences, it will probably be as the result of the different pads used in the two different models. From my perspective, the BB7 pad has more surface area. To me that means better stopping power. How much differnece? Again, my guess is negligable. Keep the BB5s unless you find they are problematic in some way.

Perhaps someone who has used both can chime in and give a fist hand reply.

Bob
    Surface area has nothing to do with stopping power. Pad size is a wear and heat related compromise.

Freshly Fujified

Size matters

Quote Originally Posted by Minjin
    Surface area has nothing to do with stopping power. Pad size is a wear and heat related compromise.
    And the smaller the pad gets, or the quicker it heats up, and therefore the less effective it is in mantaining effective braking power. Surface area matters, but I would guess there is a point of diminishing returns as they get larger.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    And the smaller the pad gets, or the quicker it heats up, and therefore the less effective it is in mantaining effective braking power. Surface area matters, but I would guess there is a point of diminishing returns as they get larger.

Bob
    Its not a matter of diminishing returns. Its a matter of compromise. Have you ever seen the brake pads on your average Porsche or Ferrari? Compare them to the pads on a Cavalier. The Cavalier pads will be BIGGER. There are reasons you would want smaller or bigger pads. Pointing at a pad and saying that because its bigger, it will be better shows you don't understand how they work.

Members who have read this thread: 0