BB7 giving me headaches, again!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

BB7 giving me headaches, again!!!

Ok, am putting together a new bike and have a BB7 setup problem I've encountered before.
    I'm putting a 185 disk/rotor on to a On-One rigid 29er fork and can't make the caliper move out enough to make the disk clear the bolts that hold the caliper onto the mounting bracket. Basically, the caliper needs to move away from the wheel some for the disk to clear but it can only so far, and that's not far enough!
    I've watched the HB video so many times and it all seems so simple... it's not!!
    What is so frustrating is that I encountered the same problem mounting a 185 disk onto a Singular rigid fork a while back and the only solution I could come up with was filing away some material from the mounting bracket.

HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN ABLE TO MOUNT A 185mm BB7 FRONT BRAKE?

Anyone?

I'm just messing with you
    I have a 185mm G3 cleansweep with BB-7 on my Spot, but the fork has post mounts.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    I have a 185mm G3 cleansweep with BB-7 on my Spot, but the fork has post mounts.
    Ok, forgot to add this, On-one forks are IS.
    On both bikes, I have no problems setting up the rear brake (also 185).

living in forever land
    you might like to look for a differant mount, i had this problem with a bike on the rear, i just found a mount which was a little thinner and it solved the problem
    "the sanctity of this agency requires the loss of a few personal freedoms...."

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by annoying crack
    Ok, am putting together a new bike and have a BB7 setup problem I've encountered before.
    I'm putting a 185 disk/rotor on to a On-One rigid 29er fork and can't make the caliper move out enough to make the disk clear the bolts that hold the caliper onto the mounting bracket. Basically, the caliper needs to move away from the wheel some for the disk to clear but it can only so far, and that's not far enough!
    I've watched the HB video so many times and it all seems so simple... it's not!!
    What is so frustrating is that I encountered the same problem mounting a 185 disk onto a Singular rigid fork a while back and the only solution I could come up with was filing away some material from the mounting bracket.

Anyone?
    yup, 185mm on on-one rigid fork.

i used a dremel and ground away a small amount of material (on the adapter), and used shorter bolts in the caliper. it's really close...but doesn't rub.
    i've been running it this way for years with no issue.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    yup, 185mm on on-one rigid fork.

i used a dremel and ground away a small amount of material (on the adapter), and used shorter bolts in the caliper. it's really close...but doesn't rub.
    i've been running it this way for years with no issue.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has the problem. So I guess I start filing material away tomorrow then. Have no dremel, will be elbow grease...
    Is it just the Avid 185mm front bracket that is too thick which makes that it does this on all forks with IS mounts?
    I also have a Recon 29er fork that might be put to use at some point. The fork has postmount tabs, could I run into the same/similar problem there too?

Keep the info coming. I thought there were standards in all these brakeparts, this shouldn't happen, right?

conjoinicorned
    IMO it's a combination of standards

i didn't have this issue with the stock inbred hubs, but when i got my kings it started. i don't have the issue with the 3 other forks i've tried, with any hub choice (post mount reba, and 2 other rigid IS mounts)
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i used a dremel and ground away a small amount of material (on the adapter), and used shorter bolts in the caliper.
    Yup, that's the way to go. I've solved a few brake alignment problems by filing adapters. No, in a perfect world, you should not have to do that, but sometimes that's just the way it is.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

MTB Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by annoying crack

Anyone?
    I had that trouble with my Karate Monkey. I solved the problem by taking the wheel apart and inserting another behind the brake side cones. This gave me just enough space for things to work.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Not sure what hub you're using, but possible to space the hub to one side? Seems like, if you can't move the parts mounted to the fork to clear, you move the other thing: the rotor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

This is a common...

problem with some steel ridged forks. I've had issues with Surly 1x1, Instigator, and K Monkey, and a few other steel ridged forks in the past. The solution is really quite simple, face the IS tabs. As with many manufacturers Surly powder coats their forks and this leaves quite a bit of coating on the tabs, and the tabs are not faced prior to powder coating as well. Facing the tabs usually removes between .5 and 1mm of material from the tabs, and will ensure that they are concentric and square with one another. The simple facing process is usually enough to preclude this problem. It is also more accurate than simply filing away part of the adapter by hand.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Members who have read this thread: 0