Back from a long hiatus...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Back from a long hiatus...

and HOLY CRAP, everyone has disc brakes. Last time I was seriously into mountain biking (almost daily rides, racing on weekends, etc) was in the mid-late 90's and those things were just coming out.........on prototypes. LOL

So, long story short, after college / getting married / a kid, etc etc etc, I'm back in the saddle. I like the satisfaction of building up a bike with components over time, so I picked up a GT avalanche (yes, I love hardtail) and am wondering what to start with first. It's probably gonna be either a fork or brakes.

Here's what it comes with:

Tektro IO, cable actuated disc

So far, they are just okay but difficult to modulate (understandable given that they're cable actuated and not broken in) and I KNOW there's better stuff out there. I mean, I'm not completely up to speed with what's the best out there now, but I know this is probably a cheap system.

I'm primarily looking for a lightly used system to save on costs (I dislike depreciation) and am probably willing to spend up to $150-200 tops. What should I upgrade to? Suggestions?

Thanks everyone

newie
    Jan 2009
    pick up a used set of juicy 7s with a bleed kit, great power and pretty light for a fair price

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I just got a set of BB7's. Decided to stay mechanical, and picked them up for $45 each wheel at Jensons. Also got the speed dial levers for 18. Great prices.

I'm shopping for a new fork (birthday present from the wifey!), so I'm going to wait to install them then. No point in installing them now only to disassemble and reinstall a few weeks later.

newie
    Jan 2009
    definitely not a mistake, keep us updated with the build and finally the ride!

good luck

mtbr member
    Can't go wrong with BB7's, especially for the price (how can they do that??!!)... now if they made them in carbon, Ti or magnisium they'd be the tops!
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    XT hydros work great, and THESE are pretty well priced for the pair... You may need caliper mounts to suit your rotor size though, I'm not familiar with your bike or the tektro brakes.

Edit: d'oh, just notice you already made an upgrade! Cool, the BB7's work great too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks wreckedrex! Appreciate the suggestion, even if I already got the BB7s.

Members who have read this thread: 0