avid V-chip?- Mtbr.com

Thread: avid V-chip?

T.W.O.

avid V-chip?

I have a pair of avid ultimate lever and I was told that it required V-chip to work with the V brake can anyone help me with some info on how it work and where I can find it, thanks

mtbr member
    I sort of remember some of this. Seems "pre" V-brake days the pivot was in a different location. In order to get the leverage ratio right (to work with V-brakes), the levers had to be retrofitted with this "V-chip" thing. I don't remember the details but I did have my Avid Ultimate levers sent to Avid, reworked and sent back to me. I wish I had more information for you. Best bet, contact the guys at Avid - talk to them.

Aloha,
    g

P.S. I concour with the others below. Even after the levers were reworked, they still didn't feel good. Still kind of mushy. The newer levers work much better with V brakes and will probably save you grief, time and money. Good luck.
    Last edited by gmats; 12-26-2006 at 10:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    I have a pair of avid ultimate lever and I was told that it required V-chip to work with the V brake can anyone help me with some info on how it work and where I can find it, thanks
    I've got a couple sets of these levers (canti & v-chipped)
    since sram bought out avid, these 'chips' are no longer available (a couple of us here have been through this)... your best bet is someplace like ebay for a set of levers w/ the chip (be warned they still fetch a pretty high dollar).

But, the v-chips didn't really do much to change the leverage, so I'd just use your current ultimates as is (I've used 'em just fine with avid v-brakes)... They are a bit on the mushy side compared to the newer (v-specific) avid SD 5/7's (or any model that is v-specific), which have a much better feel w/ v-brakes. I love my old ultimates w/ canti's but have switched to using some SD 7's for v's. the new ultimates are just too much money for me.

do a search, there's a thread on what the v-chip looks like here somewhere, if you're curious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    I've got a couple sets of these levers (canti & v-chipped)
    since sram bought out avid, these 'chips' are no longer available (a couple of us here have been through this)... your best bet is someplace like ebay for a set of levers w/ the chip (be warned they still fetch a pretty high dollar).

But, the v-chips didn't really do much to change the leverage, so I'd just use your current ultimates as is (I've used 'em just fine with avid v-brakes)... They are a bit on the mushy side compared to the newer (v-specific) avid SD 5/7's (or any model that is v-specific), which have a much better feel w/ v-brakes. I love my old ultimates w/ canti's but have switched to using some SD 7's for v's. the new ultimates are just too much money for me.

do a search, there's a thread on what the v-chip looks like here somewhere, if you're curious.
    I have v-chipped levers. I stopped using them when I got a good deal on the Ultimate V levers. They have a better feel. The V chip doesn't work all that well because it doesn't pull enough cable.

'Calm Down'
    Here's a photo of what the "v-chip" looks like.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Weird huh?

mee too

I've got a set of early 90's Avid ultimates, no V chip.

I used them on V brakes, and now on my BB7 discs. I understand that the discs require the same cable pull as the V brakes.

Anyway, you certainly can use them, but you need to be aware of how critical it is to properly set up the brakes. Replace cables often, use vice grips to pull the cable very taunt prior to locking it down on the brake, anything to get out the slack. There's little room for error, or they're gonna be mushy.

I brought some new Avid ss7's? or whatever they're called. I ended up last week putting on my old Ultimate levers back on. The new ones with the goofy fat paddle handle was just torquing me off.

Cheers

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

Members who have read this thread: 1