mtbr member

Avid Ultimate levers...that much better than the SLs?

i will be buying some levers. can't decide between the 2. on one hand, i want the best lever for the BB7s. on the other hand, more than 2x the cost for the Ultimates. are they really that much better? will they last 2x longer than the SLs and make me 2x as happy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Ultimates are Blingy as hell

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    i will be buying some levers. can't decide between the 2. on one hand, i want the best lever for the BB7s. on the other hand, more than 2x the cost for the Ultimates. are they really that much better? will they last 2x longer than the SLs and make me 2x as happy?
    The Ultimate are CnC pieces of art. In the long long run they may run smoother with their sealed bearing pivots. The only thing I don't like is that they only come in black, i prefered the polished look the Supremes had.

Never owned BB7s so can't comment on how either lever works with them but i have a feeling that set up and quality cables make the most difference.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    Made the same decision a few months ago.

I went with the SL's. Pretty close in weight to the Ultimates, not quite as purty, and half the price.

Went on a ride with 'em last night, and they have the typical Avid feel. As mine are new can't comment on long term durability and slop.

Have you thought about splitting the price difference and thinking about something like a set of Paul's? Light, crafted nice, and cheaper than the Avids. They don't have a return spring, but the spring in the brake caliper should be adequate.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    The Ultimate are CnC pieces of art. In the long long run they may run smoother with their sealed bearing pivots. The only thing I don't like is that they only come in black, i prefered the polished look the Supremes had.

Never owned BB7s so can't comment on how either lever works with them but i have a feeling that set up and quality cables make the most difference.
    Avid did a run of Ultimates in various colors a while back before they started in with the black. Have seen a red set at a the lbs and mine are actually just basic matte al.

Have gone away from the polished look since it is just some thing else to keep up on, with the exception of phil hubs.

rmb
    mtbr member
    The ultimates are amazing with the bb7's, try EBAY.

mtbr member
    i think i've decided to scratch the BB7 idea and go with Juicy7s. gotta love working at a shop.

Members who have read this thread: 0