mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Avid Ultimate 7, brake fluid pushed out resevoir screw during piston opening.

Greetings,
    Over the years I've replaced a lot of automotive disc brake pads. Generally, before I depress the piston into the caliper, I will siphon a little brake fluid in order to make room for the new pad thickness. Of course, for my bike, I saw nothing posted about such a process. Having decided that it was time for some new pads, I set the bike on the work rack and went at it. Dang, those pistons really had to get pushed back into the caliper in order to get the pads to slide in. It must have taken me three tries. I had even used the bleeder block in order to make sure that they were well opened. That wasn't enough. I stuck that screwdriver between those old pads and twisted and pried until those pistons were pretty flush. Finally, the pads went in.
    As I was getting bike off the stand I noticed some fluid on the front fork. I didn't sneeze, and wasn't guzzling a beer or anything. It was, of course, brake fluid. By the time I saw it, it had dulled the paint a bit on the fork. I hit all areas with water immediately, and minutes later with rubbing alcohol, in order to get it neutralized. The brakes work fine. However, fluid must have been forced out past the o-ring at the resevoir screw. I'd bled the brakes a few months ago, and did top off resevoir as shown in videos and instructions with Avid bleed kit. I'm guessing that the fluid was maxed out, and therefore found the weakest point. Any suggestions on what I should replace or look out for as the brakes break in? Like I said, the brakes work fine.
    If I bleed them again before replacing the pads, I'll either not top it off, or remember to bleed a little off before pressing the piston back. If I do, I suppose I'll have to bleed the whole system again, no? Does this sound reasonable, or incredibly stupid?

banned
    Oct 2004
    Ultimate 7s?
    Take a look at the resi cap and that small hole on it. Did your fluid come out of this hole? If need, unbolt that cap and look at the seals.
    My Juicy 7 Carbons did this...wept out of that little hole. I reseated the rubber seal and it stopped weeping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that it came out by pushing around the o-ring seals at the fill/bleed screw during the piston spread. I'll check them out. If the o-rings need replacement, I'll, how should I say, "Make it so." Thanks for your input.

Members who have read this thread: 0