Avid/SRAM Organic Pads- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Avid/SRAM Organic Pads

Couple of questions

1: I see in the SRAM XX manual that XX brakes require organic pads. Anyone know why?

2. I see that in the quality catalog there are two types of organic brake pads. What is the difference???
    BR6934 Organic Disc Brake Pads Steel
    BR6938 Organic Disc Pads Aluminum Back

mtbr member
    Steel back is typically a little cheaper but is heavier, no difference in the pad compound.

mtbr member
    Stock XX brake pads are semi- sintered.

If you replace them, you can mount again semi-sintered, or organic's. Currently, I'm riding the organic pads with aluminum back plate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow
    If you replace them, you can mount again semi-sintered, or organic's. Currently, I'm riding the organic pads with aluminum back plate.
    I have the Elixir CRs. Just bought some organic/aluminum for backup but will not install until the stock metal sintered are worn. Any big diff from your other semi-sintered? Less noise? Less power? Better modulation?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    But can anyone answer question 1 from the thread starter?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Itís a heat dissipation issue. Semi-metallic and metallic pads will cause the caliper to heat up more. XX calipers are made of magnesium which has poor heat dissipation qualities. Organic pads will not cause as much heating of the calipers. Organic pads come stock with XXís. Oddly enough Specialized bikes that come with XX brakes have semi-metallic pads. I have XXís and run organic in the front and semi-metallic in the rear. This is because, for me, organic pads in the rear brake would wear out too quickly, so I switched to semi-metallic, which last a lot longer. But there is some brake fade on long downhills, just donít drag the brake, pump it. I tired semi-metallic in the front, but too much squeaking, so I still run organic up front.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Is it possible that Sintered or Metallic pads in XX would cause the pistons not to retract as well? I have a newer set of XX, and have sudden pad retraction issues upfront. New pads up front, too. Troubleshooting/hypothesizing, thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    is there any point, beyond the tiny bit of weight savings, for having the aluminum or steel plates on the organic pads?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    is there any point, beyond the tiny bit of weight savings, for having the aluminum or steel plates on the organic pads?
    Heat disapation possibly but I don't know which would be better. Not sure that would even matter since they are organic pads.

You mentioned weight savings, the aluminum plate version is 9 or 10g lighter. What is your $ per gram saved threshold (for a part that wears out)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by riding29 View Post
    Heat disapation possibly but I don't know which would be better. Not sure that would even matter since they are organic pads.

You mentioned weight savings, the aluminum plate version is 9 or 10g lighter. What is your $ per gram saved threshold (for a part that wears out)?
    I assume that the aluminum pads allow heat dissipation more than the steel ones, but I'm not entirely sure either. I know that the aluminum ones are more expensive than the steel ones but I don't know whether that is because of the weight savings alone and the higher cost in metal for the plates. Either way, I already have the organic aluminum pads on. I was just trying to figure out what the difference is. Maybe one day I'll know, but I save $5 on each pair of pads anyways so it doesn't hurt me much to get them. I'd rather run the organics over the sintered, even though I only have Elixir 3 brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    the difference in weight between the Al and steel backed pads is 14g, 28g for both wheels, which is fairly minor
    Last edited by SweatyYeti; 08-11-2011 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I also noticed that Avid stopped making semi-metallic pads with Al backing, I think they just donít want anyone using them on XX brakes. But you can still get them from Jagwire. The Jagwire Al-backed semi-metallic pads will last longer than organic, but they do tend to squeal when they get hot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
    the difference in weight between the Al and steel backed pads is more like 50g, 100g for both wheels, which is significant
    That doesn't sound quite right. I just put them on a gram scale. We're talking just the pads.

mtbr member
    where can you find replacement pads for the XX brakes? I'm not having much luck figuring out which ones will actually fit.
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

Members who have read this thread: 3