Avid pads. B3 and B4 and...- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Avid pads. B3 and B4 and...

What's the difference with these animals?

My original Mech brake had B3 pads, and they wore in nearly instantly, have good power, reasonable wear but are a little noisy.

My new brake has B4 pads, and they are silent, but are still running in. And I've done about 10 miles on them so far, including the recommended 40 full speed stops. They are getting better every mile, but they are taking an awful long time to bed in. Even the wet ride last night hasn't improved them markedly.

Could it be running the B4 pads on a used rotor is slowing the process down? I scotch brited the rotor with hot soapy water to clean it up and scuff it a little. More scuffing needed perhaps? Yes, I washed it with alcohol afterwards just to be sure...

What's a C4 pad like?

Not a problem, just interested.

BTW, the 160mm on the rear is wonderful. Not as smooth as the Shimano, but it doesn't change in the wet!

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoojp
    What's the difference with these animals?
    I was asking the same exact question a few days ago. See the bottom of the thread for answers I got from Avid.

I'll have to install a set today and take 'em for a ride.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...light=b3+b4+c4

Mar 2004
    Ok. Colour me stoopid then.

I like the B3's. Nothing like "STOP RIGHT ^&$^%$^%$ NOW!!!!", though I must admit the 4's are a little less grabby and easier to control modulation with.

It would be nice if Avid were able to offer a choice of pad. Say "here are the 3's that stop like hitting a brick wall, but last about 3 seconds. On the other hand, here are the 4's that are nice, don't stop quite as well, but last for a goodly amount of time. Whaddya want?"

Then again, if Shimano offered another pad for their 515 mechanical, I wouldn't know about the Avid pads because I wouldn't have bothered buying them. I guess following Shimano lead in offering choices to us plebs means Avid made a sale.

Oh yeah, colour me extra stoopid. Got the brakes, can't get pads anyway.

Any clues on how any other brand for Avid brakes stack up? I can get nearly any brand of pad except Avid easily and at a reasonable price. I have some spare Hayes pads here that might have a date with a Dremel in the near future...

Derailleurless
    I like the B3's. Nothing like "STOP RIGHT ^&$^%$^%$ NOW!!!!", though I must admit the 4's are a little less grabby and easier to control modulation with.
    I dunno about that -- I took the B4s out for their maiden voyage this morning (replacing a pair of B3s up front on my 185 rotor) and was really pleased with them. I felt the B4s were smoother and quieter than the B3s, and my impression was that they were up to full power very quickly.

It would be nice if Avid were able to offer a choice of pad. Say "here are the 3's that stop like hitting a brick wall, but last about 3 seconds. On the other hand, here are the 4's that are nice, don't stop quite as well, but last for a goodly amount of time. Whaddya want?"
    That would be nice, because I could also see the usefulness in front and rear specific pads. The rear pads would be a longer wearing, less powerful compound that can stand up to being used as a drag brake, and the fronts can be whatever they are now -- in this case, the current B4s.

Oh yeah, colour me extra stoopid. Got the brakes, can't get pads anyway.

Any clues on how any other brand for Avid brakes stack up? I can get nearly any brand of pad except Avid easily and at a reasonable price.
    I stocked up at the Sram/Avid trailer at Sea Otter: $10 a set. I think I saw them at aebike.com for $17 each. EBC Golds get good reviews, but the best price I've seen is $15.

Mar 2004
    The 4's replaced 3's on the same sized 185 rotor. When I originally had the front brake I was wondering why all those clowns on MTBR were asking about wearing in the pads. The things were amazing right off the bat. The 4's however are still coming up to scratch. I don't think they will quite match the stop of the 3's, but it's not a compromise. The 4's are smoother and quieter but TANSTAAFL... I think the 4's are a better option, but having the possibility of a 3 when you decide you need it would be a beautiful thing.

As for getting the pads, if I got them through my LBS they will rpobably cost me between $30 and $40 a pair, based on a regular price being $15-20. The asking price on the 160mm brake is 16,700, which works out to about $155. If my LBS got the brake in, I would have to pay around $140 and he would cover the fax costs and make enough for a can of coke in profit. Too scared to buy pads locally at those prices, and supporting a money grabbing scumbucket of an importer/dealer like that is not my thing. Getting them sent in costs on delivery. Delivery isn't offensive, but I'd need to buy a few sets of pads to make it worthwhile. Doable, but I'd rather support local folks, especially if the local folks do a great job of it.

Note to Avid. Drop the current Japanese importer/dealer or ditch the exclusive dealer [email protected] It's an outdated arrangement in these days as you will get guys like me who will tell the dealer to stick their exhorbitant prices where the sun doesn't shine and order them online. The brake I ordered online cost 2/3 of the locally available price, including shipping. This is ridiculous. Especially from someone like me who gets basically everything through his Local Bicycle Store because I have seen how damaging online marketing can be to an international market. I'd rather support the local guys because they will back up any problems. However, when they ask for excessive cash to purchase a product, you leave people with little choice but to find the best price they can online.

Just a suggestion. Not that anyone really listens to me, so I guess I better click for pad supplies rather than say "Konnichiwa"...

Members who have read this thread: 0