The Element Of Choice

Avid Juicy Seven Brakes

I have been talking to an online friend about my brakes but thought I might put this question on the forum. Anywho I have Avid Juicy Seven 160mm front and rear disc brakes. I have had them now about a month and started noticing in the rear that it makes a grabby feeling, kinda jerky like or something binding. It dosent affect breaking it seems and also that the front sometimes makes a sound like wet rim brakes do but breaks are still strong. My friend said might be the pads are finally seating and therefore the noise on the downside but brakes getting stronger on the up side. The brake callipers get hot quockly now but dont fade. I have cleaned them so nothing on them.
    A man looks into the abyss. There’s nothing staring back at him. At that moment, a man finds his character. And that’s what keeps him out of the abyss.

ride hard take risks
    Where is XSL_WiLL when you need him. He uses the Juicys & knows alot about their little quirks. If you see him passing through grab him quick, he's slippery sometimes.

Meh.
    If you're running polygon or wavy rotors, the jerking or stuttering issue is because of uneven exposed braking surface or uneven rotor thickness. It's even possible that the pads are grabbing the arms of the rotor (you can see where it's grabbing if you've used them a while). If it's just grabbing the arms, then slip some small washers under the CPS washers to push the caliper up a bit. Recenter the caliper while slowly spinning the wheel. If it doesn't resolve your issue, go ahead and get your shop to call up Avid. They'll send you out a set of Cleansweep rotors. I've run Hayes rotors (both round and v-8 rotors) with my Juicy 7s and they've been perfect. Totally silent.

As for the squealing... Either glaze or contamination. Sand the pads in a figure 8 across some fairly course sandpaper. Take some 600 to 800 grit sandpaper to your rotors. Clean both with denatured alcohol. I tend to stay away from car disc brake cleaners because they can potentially leave residues that car brakes can burn off but bike brakes can't. But plenty of people use those with no problems. There's also some stuff for car brakes that's used to stop squeals, it pretty much sticks the pad to the piston and prevents it from moving around. I haven't had to use any on my J7s yet, but I did use it on my Hayes calipers. Worst comes to worse, pick up some new pads. You can play around with compounds, a resin/organic pad will probably silence it some, but they're grabbier and wear down more quickly. Galfer pads are great, they're only available in one compound, but they're very good.

The Element Of Choice
    thanks xsl will. will try the sand paper. not really wanting to pop for new rotore at the time. i did though adjust the caliper after a month. maybe thats where i whent wrong. maybe discs seated and didnt match rotor pattern anynore. whats your thought. i do like to read Gearhead and XSL_Wll posts dogonfr so thanks for your help to.
    A man looks into the abyss. There’s nothing staring back at him. At that moment, a man finds his character. And that’s what keeps him out of the abyss.

Meh.
    Try the other fixes first, if it doesn't help, Avid SHOULD warranty the Polygon rotors with Cleansweep or Roundagon rotors free of charge. They should also provide you with new pads. Send SRAM/Avid a email, they'll tell you to go through your shop. Bring a copy of the email. The shop may or may not charge you shipping for the rotors/pads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have same problem in my Specialized's Juicy 7 oem brakes. Front brake vibrates whole Fox fork that feels like it's gonna break. (160mm polygon rotors)
    For whom have you emailed? I can't find SRAM/Avid's email address anywhere in their page? Is there some global email?
    Last edited by dirtyrider; 05-09-2006 at 05:19 AM.

Meh.
    Try fixing it by spacing the caliper up a little bit first. Then resurface your pads and re-bed. If that doesn't rememdy the problem, post another message and I'll find the SRAM email for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    How thick washers you would recommend? I just tried with 1mm washers and no effect. How much you can raise the caliber before it's too high for that wavy rotor edge?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrider
    How thick washers you would recommend? I just tried with 1mm washers and no effect. How much you can raise the caliber before it's too high for that wavy rotor edge?
    See how far down the arms of the rotor the rub marks go. Space it out that much.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    See how far down the arms of the rotor the rub marks go. Space it out that much.
    _MK
    I don't think that's the problem cause there are no marks in the arms.

Looks like Avid's rotor material differ from other brands cause it's so shiny 'bling-bling' (see my camera objective and finger) and for example Shimano XTR and Hayes rotors looks matt.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    A while ago when I first got my Magura Louise FR brakes, they made an awful Turkey gobble gobble sound. I called magura and they said to take a file and file down the edge of the pad which the rotor enters. Just a little bit to make it not come in contact with the pads at 90 degree angle. It fixed the problem.

I know that Tscheezy solved thi sproblem by beveling the entire rotor with a hand file. You could try that, too, beveling the pad is quicker and might produce the same result.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

Meh.
    Yup, setup looks fine, so I was going to suggest what MK_ said.

Rotors start to get shiny after you use them a while.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for tips. I'm gonna try that beveling pads tomorrow before ride. I'll tell you result then...

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    I have the same issue... I've had mine on the bike for only a few weeks now. After the first few rides they were awesome, but suddenly seem to have degenerated into this twitchy and noisy mode.

The Element Of Choice
    Thanks for everyones help but I found out that the problem wasw the rear axle bolts were not tight. I took it to a differnt lbs and the guy said the other shop didnt remove the cassette and tighten up like they should have and I believe XSL_WILL said the same think to me once before so props to you XSL_WILL. Since the lbs tightend it the correct way the rear brake no longer grabe or makes any sounds. The mecanic said it was the disc banging around on the pads and the looseness that made them feel the way they did. Also I used my Avid bleed kit and brakes feel even better. Anyway for those who might have this problem check and see if you can wobble the rear wheel left to right although I dont have XSL_WILL's or others knowledge thats what fixed mine. Pads are correct hight and dont touch arms.

ride hard take risks
    Awsome glad to hear your brakes are back on track. That XSL_WiLL is prety sharp, gonna have to adopt him then i'll have someone to maintain my bikes.

Meh.
    Do it! Then you can pay for my new frame every year too! Haha. It's a hardtail for this year, so might wanna do it quick before I change my mind.

Meh.
    Might want to hurry dogonfr... The Versus Blitz II is looking awfully good right now...Haha.

ride hard take risks
    Dang just talked to the wif she said you out of the budget for this year, if you didnt mention the '06 Blitz i had it all worked out. Oh well maybe next year!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Yup, setup looks fine, so I was going to suggest what MK_ said.
    Well tried and tested that beveling... We also tried beveling outer edge of pad and sanding the whole pads. (And of course cleaned pads and rotor)
    Here is pic:
    No help, still shuddering and turkey gobbling... How long I have to play with this game with new bike till I can give up and ask SRAM for Clean sweep rotors?

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrider
    Well tried and tested that beveling... We also tried beveling outer edge of pad and sanding the whole pads. (And of course cleaned pads and rotor)
    Here is pic:
    No help, still shuddering and turkey gobbling... How long I have to play with this game with new bike till I can give up and ask SRAM for Clean sweep rotors?
    You could've asked for new rotors straight up... Or just spend 30 bucks on Hayes v-8 rotors and not have to worry about it at all, or spend 100 bucks on a set of Galfer rotors and know that you have the best rotors on the market.

Members who have read this thread: 0