Avid Juicy 7 vs Hayes HFX 9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Avid Juicy 7 vs Hayes HFX 9

So i'm a complete moron when it comes to disc brakes, but at least i know these are both hydraulic. Anyway i'm looking to pick up a new bike that comes stock with the hayes but i have the option of upgrading to avid without paying the msrp on the juicy 7.

However knowing nothing about disc breaks i don't know what i gain / what i lose / whats better / or even whats the difference. I have read the reviews on the site here but i was hoping to get a more definitive answer to differences between the two.

LBS says Hayes aren't nearly as good, but I'm not going to be one to adjust the brake engage position on the fly very much. Bleeding doesn't matter to me right now as until i dig out all my old tools it will be going to the shop as i know the guys there.

Any insight or other helpful info will be appreciated.

Meh.
    J7 for sure. Reliability, modulation, etc is all much better than the Hayes.

The A-Train
    Apr 2006
    JUICYJUICYJUICY.....the adjustibility is great, they're easy to bleed, and they will run forever. No major flaws with the Hayes if you choose to go that route, but the Avids simply have more ajustibility(both at the caliper and at the lever). Besides, if you go to Avid, you get the SRAM support staff backing you.

Freshly Fujified

Take it from Will

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    J7 for sure. Reliability, modulation, etc is all much better than the Hayes.
    Will is one of, if not THE primary resource for brake information on this forum. Check his posts and you'll see what kind of credibility there is in his recommendations and responses.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Will is one of, if not THE primary resource for brake information on this forum. Check his posts and you'll see what kind of credibility there is in his recommendations and responses.

Bob
    No need to stalk him if everyone else says the same things

mtbr member
    Juicy 7s are WAAAAAAAAYY better than hayes 9s. If it was Juicy 5s vs h9's then that would probably be more of a competition.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan123
    Juicy 7s are WAAAAAAAAYY better than hayes 9s. If it was Juicy 5s vs h9's then that would probably be more of a competition.
    J7s and J5s are the exact same other than the red knob. J-Carbons are the exact same as J7s other than the carbon lever and I think a few pieces of hardware. IMO, HFX9 is no competition for even the J5. The HFX Mag, however, is a pretty good brake. In fact, it is the only brake currently offered by Hayes that I will run.

Double-metric mtb man
    Now, I'll preface this by saying I haven't had a chance to really thrash Juicy's and I've run Hayes hydraulics and mechanicals on my last couple bikes...As ajmcaffee has said, there is nothing wrong with the Hayes. Personally, I have the HFX 9's on my ride and have had absolutely no problems with them. I'm a bigger guy and ride fairly agressively...the HFX 9's have served me quite well and I've never had issues with modulation or reliability, even after putting 1000 miles under the wheels of that bike this year.

The Juicy 7's are most definitely an upgrade from the Hayes 9's and if the shop is offering them for a good price, it'd be worth while looking at it. They are more adjustable and the fit and finish looks a bit better. The learning curve will be a little longer in figuring out what all the extra adjustments do, but it also means more chance to customize the fit and feel for the way you ride.

The choice is yours, but I'd say see if the shop will let you try a couple different bikes out...one with the Hayes and one with the Juicy's...go for it. You may find you prefer one feel over the other or the levers fit better from one vs. the other. After all, you're the one who has to live with the decision.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Adobo Lover
    The only complaint I had with my nines were the spongy feel when you bring the lever closer to the bar. It becomes firm when you adjust the lever away from the bar. I have small hands so for me it's a must to have that adjustability. So, if you have bigger hands then you shouldn't worry about it. A lot of people have commented on the same lever adjustment screw backing out. I never had that problem. Mechanically it is a very simple brake to manage. Never had any problems with constant squeeling or rubbing. If I didn't have the need to bring that lever closer to the bar, I would stick with them.

That being said, I am going the Juicy 7 route despite some complaints that some people have(mainly squeeling). For all the complaints, they have a lot praises also. The biggest reason for the choice is the fact they are cheaper than most with the same type of adjustability. (Correct me if I'm wrong forum! Please make other suggestions if I'm not correct.) The price has dropped for 07 I believe from the 200's to around 160-170 for a front or rear set. The bleeding system the juicy uses apparently is good too. Good luck. Happy New Year
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If I were building a bike, I'd go with juicy 7s.....BUT... My anthem came with hayes 9s and I've run them with no problems so far. Anyone can tell the avid is a better brake by looking at it. The hayes 9s are fine and have a good feel. If I ever have a problem, they'll go on my hardtail and I'll upgrade the anthem to juicies....I didn't see the need to drop the coin at the time I bought the bike (and still don't). Instead, I spent it on a carbon bar, thomson seatpost, and wcs stem.

29er Geek
    I think the Juicy's look spiffy, but I'm 215#s and my nines with 8" rotors haul me right down time after time after time...I have upgrade-itus so I'll be putting some neat-o levers on for now...
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've got lots of experience with Juicys (7s and 5s) and Hayes 9s and most of the posts here are bang on. The 9s aren't terrible, but they're not quite up to the abilities of the Avid brakes.

Bleeding both systems are pretty easy although Avid's bleed kit is expensive and, if you know what you're doing with the other setups, it takes a little longer than other systems. Also, you won't read too many posts about Hayes brakes squealing in the same way as Avids...

I never had any problems with my Hayes, but if you're concerned about spongy lever feel, consider swapping out the stock levers for Hayes' BFLs (cheaper) or some other aftermarket option.

FWIW, I run Avid Carbons now (only diff is ti hardware on the caliper and lever body and a carbon lever) and they're great. If you're seriously in the market for Avid's Carbons, you should take a look at some of the other high end brakes too -- Magura and Shimano both offer really good systems.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I assumed that there was less posting about hayes squealing because there were less people that ride hayes. Any logical reason hayes don't squeal as much?

29er Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by IamShakes
    I assumed that there was less posting about hayes squealing because there were less people that ride hayes. Any logical reason hayes don't squeal as much?

I think squealing has much more to do with Setup and conditions than the brand. I ride with hayes nines and have had avids...I have riding buddies with Magura and Avids as well...Everyone seems to squeel at one time or another.
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tozovr
    I think squealing has much more to do with Setup and conditions than the brand. I ride with hayes nines and have had avids...I have riding buddies with Magura and Avids as well...Everyone seems to squeel at one time or another.
    All disc brakes will squeal but what I was getting at is that there's a large number of experienced riders / wrenches who have squealing problems with Avids right out of the box.

I never really had any squeal issues with my Juicy 5s (with original rotors). I had some pulsing with my 7s, but that was taken care of when I re-checked the alignment of my calipers after initial install. But I know some people who've sold their brakes at a loss after spending hours trying to eliminate brake squeal on their 5s/7s...

It's just that I've never really seen the same level of complaint out of any other brake (and I know Maguras can sing). El Caminos, 9s, Shimanos, etc, are all pretty good in that category...

And my Avids almost always squeal in wet & cold until they warm up (first 100 meters or so of a descent).

mtbr member
    juicy 7 way better then the HFX9
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by IamShakes
    Improper setup. I don't know why, but most people seem to have a hard time figuring out how to set up Avids, or they're not using the CPS washers correctly, or the pads are grabbing low, etc.

I was just on a ride. Had maybe 60 people in the group. I had one of the only bikes with brakes that didn't rub, howl, or squeal. It was quite a sight and sound.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Improper setup.
    Tell me about it. Sometimes I think Avid's CPS alignment method makes people lazy during installation and they end up failing to check their calipers after the fact...

I used crappy or improperly installed / aligned brakes for years before figuring out that a brake that's installed and maintained makes riding a whole lot more fun. And having switched to the dark side (being super-picky about brakes) it kills me when I hop on friends' bikes that have good quality brakes that feel like crap.

Members who have read this thread: 0