Avid Juicy 7 Squeal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Avid Juicy 7 Squeal

Sometimes my brakes squeal when I move my bike ever so slightly. As soon as I put weight on my bike or move it more than an inch the squealing goes away. It doesn't seem like the rotor is rubbing or the squeal impedes anything (it's just somewhat annoying). Sometimes I'll readjust to get the squeal to go away but it comes back a couple days later. Any recommendations for how to get it to go away permanently?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5
    Sometimes my brakes squeal when I move my bike ever so slightly. As soon as I put weight on my bike or move it more than an inch the squealing goes away. It doesn't seem like the rotor is rubbing or the squeal impedes anything (it's just somewhat annoying). Sometimes I'll readjust to get the squeal to go away but it comes back a couple days later. Any recommendations for how to get it to go away permanently?
    The noise is the pad lightly rubbing. When you are on the bike, the frame may flex enough to not rub.

It sounds like you may have a sticky piston on one side which could explain why it comes back in a few days after you center the caliper.

Take a look to see if both pistons move out and back the same amount or if one does most of the moving.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    The noise is the pad lightly rubbing. When you are on the bike, the frame may flex enough to not rub.

It sounds like you may have a sticky piston on one side which could explain why it comes back in a few days after you center the caliper.

Take a look to see if both pistons move out and back the same amount or if one does most of the moving.
    The pad on the inside is moving more than the one on on the outside. Is fixing the piston an easy fix?

Members who have read this thread: 0