Avid Juicy 7 new brake pad install problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Avid Juicy 7 new brake pad install problem

I'm reasonably competent mechanically. I got new brake pads (rear). They are the correct brake pads. I know how to use a screwdriver to push the pistons back in. I've replaced pads before on this bike.

I have pushed the pistons in as far in as they will go and they are responding well to pressure (yes, I'm using a flat screwdriver) applied to spread them wide for the new pads.

Problem, they won't quite spread far enough to allow the rotor to clear. I can get the wheel on but the pads are lightly gripping the rotor. The wheel will spin on the stand but quickly comes to a halt.

I have checked the alignment of the wheel several times. I've loosened the caliper mounting bolts and retightened to check to make sure the alignment of the caliper is not the problem.

It seems the piston can go in a tiny bit more by pushing hard on the piston with a screwdriver, but when I release the pressure, the piston returns to the position which is a hair too tight.

What do I do??? Need I let out a bit of brake fluid as these pads must be a bit wider than the original set that came with the bike???

Thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    Your brakes are over filled...open up the bleed screw on the lever and push the pistons all the way into the caliper...then close the bleed screw.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks,
    Which is bleed screw?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The only torx screw on the lever.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Thanks. having the same problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0