mtbr member

Avid Juicy 5s vs Hayes HFX9 Carbons

Any reason to get one over the other?

- Mike

ride hard take risks
    I like the Hayes brakes so thats my vote, Hayes!

Meh.
    I like Hayes HFX-Mags. HFX-9s are horrible. Read up on them. The 9 Carbons are the exact same brakes just with carbon levers. No modulation and horrible reliability.

Success with the Juicys seems to be hit or miss. It's mostly setup issues.

Have you looked at Shimano or Formula or Magura?

local trails rider
    Hope?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    go juicy's, even if you get a bad set you will have to deal with some noise, but the performance and modulation are still super. HFX9s are pretty crap, **** modulation, poor quality reach adjustment, general caliper issues (uneven caliper spacing/bleed screw machining tolerances). I had a 2004 set of HFX9s and have two sets of 2005 HFX Mags, nothing but trouble. The Mags have had 3 new mastercylinders, and the lever throw spends it's whole life changing (not reach adjustment, lever throw). They are powerful, but require constant maintenance.

My personal preference is Shimano, I've never heard a bad thing about them. Saying that Juicy's are good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Juicy 5...i have used them for a couple rides on a friends bike, they work wonderfully! If you get them from pricepoint.com they are at a very good price. Every review that i have read in mtb magazines gives them 5/5 for reliability, looks, feel and price...although, some did complain about noise and the lack of a split clamp desgin. I think I recall hearing that avid has looked/fixed the noise problem..

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Hope?
    The name matches the brake, ohhh i Hope i can stooppp Blam!!! Hope

ride hard take risks
    The Hayes HFX-9 & HFX-Mag use the same G2 caliper. The 9's do have a bad habbit of the adjusting screw backing out even with locktite. Have used HFX-Mags for 6 years with great success. They can sometimes be emo to set up but once their are great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    The Hayes HFX-9 & HFX-Mag use the same G2 caliper. The 9's do have a bad habbit of the adjusting screw backing out even with locktite. Have used HFX-Mags for 6 years with great success. They can sometimes be emo to set up but once their are great.
    Yeah, I wouldn't call 9s "horrible", and I never had the adjuster screw slip. I actually thought the modulation felt a bit smoother than Mags too, but I'm using Mags now for the power.

local trails rider
    Mmm, that's not what I have heard before (no personal experience with any hydraulic brakes yet). Which model? Or all of them? A test that I read some time ago showed Hope M4 stopping a bit better than the Hayes they tested.

Meh.
    Mmm, that's not what I have heard before (no personal experience with any hydraulic brakes yet). Which model? Or all of them? A test that I read some time ago showed Hope M4 stopping a bit better than the Hayes they tested.
    Hope M4 and M6 brakes have better modulation than Juicys or Mags, however, they lack the outright stopping power of other brakes.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Hope M4 and M6 brakes have better modulation than Juicys or Mags, however, they lack the outright stopping power of other brakes.
    Sooo, under many conditions you could manage not to skid on the Hopes and possibly stop better than with brakes with worse modulation?

One thing that people are saying is that you have to get the set up exactly right to make Hopes work well.

ride hard take risks
    I'm barrowig a Cannondale F2000 that is set up with Hope brakes, you can apply the brake & push the bike forward, yes the wheel is rolling. Supposidly this is how they are till the pads are broken in, i'll try & rember to comeback monday & let ya know. It's up to XSL_WiLL to remind me, hahahaha.

Meh.
    Sooo, under many conditions you could manage not to skid on the Hopes and possibly stop better than with brakes with worse modulation?

One thing that people are saying is that you have to get the set up exactly right to make Hopes work well.
    Face the tabs, bleed, space it out. Not a whole lot of setup. It's hard to skid out the M4 or M6. You can keep moving even after you grabbed a handful of lever.

mtbr member
    Your apparent inability to properly set up a brake should not be considered a fault of Hopes hardware.
    I never need to pull my Mono4's with more than one finger. and yes I can effortlessly lock the wheels, however the correct technique is to NOT lock the wheels.

Here, I found a nice stand-in for your hayes calipers when they are broken (which I hear is a fair percentage of the time) Can easily be carried in your pack and has nearly identical modulation.

https://www.tool-up.co.uk/tooldev/im...tems/21693.jpg

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    Your apparent inability to properly set up a brake should not be considered a fault of Hopes hardware.
    I never need to pull my Mono4's with more than one finger. and yes I can effortlessly lock the wheels, however the correct technique is to NOT lock the wheels.

Here, I found a nice stand-in for your hayes calipers when they are broken (which I hear is a fair percentage of the time) Can easily be carried in your pack and has nearly identical modulation.

https://www.tool-up.co.uk/tooldev/im...tems/21693.jpg
    That looks like a really good brake, but i have found this to work better.

mtbr member
    I demo'ed the Avid BB7's and Juicy5's and thought they sucked. My previous bike came with the HFX-9's and I loved the positive feel. I upgraded my new bike to the HFX-9's and haven't regretted it one bit. Setup is a bear but performance is 10X the Juicys. The Avid "modulation" feels like a spongy brake to me. You really have to pull the lever deep before you get the positive feel of the Hayes.

mtbr member
    That looks like a really good brake, but i have found this to work better.

Brake?, that looks like what we make the fast guys in our pack drag around as a handycap!

Meh.
    If the Juicy's are spongy, that means they had air in the system. Out of the box, performance sucks. 10 hours or 50 break-in stops before the power and modulation start coming out. Very hard outer coating on the pads.

HFX-9s... You'll figure it out. I know I did. Atleast get the Mags.

Members who have read this thread: 0