Avid J-5 vs. Hayes 9 vs. Deore- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Avid J-5 vs. Hayes 9 vs. Deore

I thought I wanted to get the Hayes HFX-9 for my bike but after going to 2 different bike shops today I am unsure. One shop said the Hayes are great and the other said that the Deores are great and the Avids offer more stopping power than I will ever need. I ride a Fisher and I am not concerned with weight but I would like to keep the entire setup, front and rear under $250. I am in college and balling on a budget here, just looking for the most reliable and efficient brakes I can get.
    Thanks,
    Rileymeister

EastBaySteez
    No Hayes 9 NO. I dont like mine at all. Im going to replace them with BB7's when they die. I vote for idk... not hayes 9
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

banned

Brake vs brake

I have a set of Deores on my Specialized Enduro and they have been the most trouble free brakes I have ever used. On my Titus I have a set of Avid Juicy 5's and they were always squealing and making a horrible racket and the power was not that good. I recently installed a set of Galfer green compound disc brake pads on my Juicy 5's and lo and behold they are the most powerful, consistent, silent brakes around. I would check out which ones you can get the best price on and go with them. Both are good choices. But if you end up with the Avids get some other pads different from what comes stock. They will save you a lot of headaches and cursing. I have no experience with the Hayes but have heard that they can be a pain in the butt to work with and adjust.

mtbr member

Shimano, Avid and Hayes

I only have experience with the XTR's, Juicy 7's and HFX9's. Of all 3, the Shimano was the most annoying and frustrating to set up correctly (given, it was the first generation XTR hydros). The Juicy I installed and set up for a friend and it was easy. The HFX9's were also pretty easy and quiet (and very powerful if you use Koolstop pads).

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I have had XTs for 2 years, and they have been awesome... I like them so much that I got a set of LX hydros last night to replace the BB7s on my SS.......

As Flip said.. there were problems with first generation XTRs, but anyway from XT down the brakes are postmount, which makes adjustment really easy (just like with avids or hayes)...

I prefer Shimanos, but I know Avid makes good brakes (according to my BB7s) and the Juicys need some care to run quiet, but they are good brakes..

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Jenson USA has LX hydros on sale for cheep. The frist one is 39, the second one is 15% off and LX Levers is only 69. Should come out to be somewhere around ~150. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Man, I can not spell today. (Cheap)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    thank you for the help but i am still in the same boat. haha i realize that people have their own opinions so i guess i will have to go with my gut feeling. thanks to all who replied.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i just got done looking for some deals on line and i can buy juicy 5's in black for about $220 for both or hfx-9's for about the same price. why do some people have problems with either one? some like the hayes others don't and some like the avids and some don't. i am more confused then ever on what to get. if i could get a set of black levers for the deores i would be all for them. my bike is all black and blue so silver levers would not look right on my bike. also i would need to buy new rotors for the shimano set up. the hayes or the avids can't be a bad choice seeing as how they come on high dollar bikes. i mainly ride for fun and i am not into racing so i wouldn't be beating on them but i would like them to be reliable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    if i had to make that choice, i think i'd go with the hayes over the 5's. not by much, but by a little. the desciding factor is that i've had to bleed avid brakes much more frequently than hayes. i'm riding hayes 9 on my hammer right now, and thus far they are as trouble free as the hayes i've had in the past.

there are plusses and minusses to all the brakes out there, and i have hayes, avid, and shimano represented on all my bikes, but i think in your case, i'd take these 3 points as paramount: cheap, simple, effective. the hayes are all 3 more than any other option.

good luck whatever you choose.

Double-metric mtb man
    I've got a set of Hayes HFX-9's on my Cake and I've had no issues with them...even with the Clyde weight they need to stop and with going to an 8" rotor for the really long trails in the local river valley.

I will agree with BigHitDon....all three have their ins and outs. Just take your time, set them up carefully and go from there.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I bought the Deores on ebay and now I just need a good set of rotors. I don't have the special shimano hubs on my bike so the included rotors will not work. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The Hayes 9's reservoir is sealed with a plug that is just held in by friction, instead of a screw and o-ring seal (like the Mags). This plug has been the cause of leaks and air getting into the system. The reservoir is below the lever which means any air that is in the reservoir will get into the brake system. The Avids and Shimano's have a spring that pushes the pads apart, so they are less likely to rub the rotor. Shimano's mount with spacers, and so are a pain to align. Avid calipers have the most adjustability of any brake. Shimano brakes are not repairable. So, from a design standpoint, Avids are best.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    Shimano's mount with spacers, and so are a pain to align.
    Only the IS-only shimano brakes are like that (old Deore, XT and XTR), current versions of Deore, LX, XT, Hone and Saint are PM calipers with adapters (just like avid)

Members who have read this thread: 0