Avid and Hayes pads- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Avid and Hayes pads

Are avid and hayes pads interchangable? they both look similar to me ? Any help is appreciated Thanks

Village Idiot
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert
    Are avid and hayes pads interchangable? they both look similar to me ? Any help is appreciated Thanks
    I know for a fact that Hayes brand pads and Avid brand pads are not compatible with the opposite brake system (I've had both types of brakes), atleast for the Avid V2 calipers (not sure about the V1's). However I believe EBC makes a pad that works with both Hayes and Avid systems. They are very similar, but for some reason both companies haven't come together on this to make a pad that is interchangeable.
    -Ryan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes they are..

I have Hayes hydros on two bikes and Avid mechs (V1 and V2) on three others. The reason I retired my Deore 525s to the parts closet is because of the incompatability of the pads.

One V1 Avids, the Hayes spring must be removed before inserting into the calipers. On V2 Avids, the Hayes spring is removed, and then about 1-2mm of the pad compound filed back from the edge to make room for the V2 H-spring.

Avid pads just need the Hayes spring swapped from the worn-out pads to work in Hayes calipers.

I got a good deal on a few pairs of Hayes pads two summers ago, and have been replacing worn pads in all my brakes with them. My camelback has a spare pair already filed, so they will work in any of my bikes' brakes.

I guess the key is that they are compatible, not exactly interchangeable. The spring system is all that differs.

Happy braking!

Village Idiot
    Jan 2004

Hmmm, we must be talking about different pads....

Quote Originally Posted by japanrider
    I have Hayes hydros on two bikes and Avid mechs (V1 and V2) on three others. The reason I retired my Deore 525s to the parts closet is because of the incompatability of the pads.

One V1 Avids, the Hayes spring must be removed before inserting into the calipers. On V2 Avids, the Hayes spring is removed, and then about 1-2mm of the pad compound filed back from the edge to make room for the V2 H-spring.

Avid pads just need the Hayes spring swapped from the worn-out pads to work in Hayes calipers.

I got a good deal on a few pairs of Hayes pads two summers ago, and have been replacing worn pads in all my brakes with them. My camelback has a spare pair already filed, so they will work in any of my bikes' brakes.

I guess the key is that they are compatible, not exactly interchangeable. The spring system is all that differs.

Happy braking!
    How
    have you managed to get the Hayes pads to clip into the retaining clip spring on the top of the Avid V2 caliper? The two prongs on the Hayes caliper bend inward, while the Avid pads have prongs that bend ******d to engage into the clip. I don't see how even filing would fix this as the prongs on the Hayes pads are narrower.
    As
    for putting Avid pads into Hayes brakes, the Hayes retainer spring doesn't fit onto the pad because there aren't any notches for it to sit in. I suppose you could file them in, but it looks tough. Are you using V1 or V2 calipers? I have a set of Hayes and the Avid V2's and I can't see how this works. You should post some pics if you can. I know EBC makes pads compatible with either brake type, but the stock pads (which I have for both brake systems) don't seem compatible at all.
    -Ryan