Avid Elixir squeals, possible solution?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Avid Elixir squeals, possible solution?

Hey everyone. After beating my head on the wall for the last 5 or so months now dealing with squealing Avid Elixir R's, I resorted to the last possible idea before discarding with the brakes and starting over I have the brakes on a Dean Colonel single speed (just for reference). I have been using the G3 rotors on both front and rear, 160mm. The front has been howling like crazy, but the rear has been 'o.k.', minus some vibrations here and there.

Anyways, I took off the G3 front rotor and replaced it with an old Avid Roundagon I had lying around. PROBLEM SOLVED (I think) . I have only been on two 20 mile rides since the change, but have had zero issues at all.

Hope this may help someone if you haven't already tried this.

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Last edited by shalesjr; 12-11-2009 at 06:23 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

mtbr member
    Completely possible there some something on your rotors causing them to squeal. Thats why the squealing stopped when you put the roundagons on. Brake squealing can also occur by vibrations between the rotor and pad, typically because there is something wrong with the finish of the rotor. Also switching to organic pads can solve squealing issues because they are softer than typical brake pads, but wear down much quicker than semi metallic pads. Semi Metallic pads have little bits of metal shaving in them. Having the metal in the pads makes them stop really well, but increases the chance of squealing from metal to metal contact. Organic pads have no metal in them.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    What would you recommend using on the G3 front rotor that I took off to clean it, just in case something being on the rotor was the problem?

mtbr member
    I have no personal experience cleaning rotors, but I have read on here that 180 grit sand paper does the job along with denatured alcohol.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ight=Squealing
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shalesjr
    What would you recommend using on the G3 front rotor that I took off to clean it, just in case something being on the rotor was the problem?

Brake cleaner or alcohol .

mtbr member
    Thanks so much. I'll give it a shot.

AZ
    banned
    Please do not sand your brake rotors .

mtbr member

to sand or not to sand???

AZ....you say do not sand. Then i read the link where it says too sand. What's your recommendation and why?

mtbr member
    AZ....you say do not sand. Then i read the link where it says too sand. What's your recommendation and why?
    It says to sand the pads, and clean the rotors. I dont think you will need to sand your pads, so just clean your rotors and give them another try. If it still doesnt stop, then there may be another issue.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Vtolds why dont you tell us what he should do if it dosent stop ? And then can you tell us why ? And can you do this without parroting something that you read somewhere , maybe some first hand experience that you gained in the last year ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Vtolds why dont you tell us what he should do if it dosent stop ? And then can you tell us why ? And can you do this without parroting something that you read somewhere , maybe some first hand experience that you gained in the last year ?
    Dude, is it that time of the month again. Whats with all the unprovoked attacks? I even wrote that I never cleaned rotors before, I linked off to a topic in which I quoted what you wrote...so whats the issue???
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Dude, is it that time of the month again. Whats with all the unprovoked attacks? I even wrote that I never cleaned rotors before, I linked off to a topic in which I quoted what you wrote...so whats the issue???

The issue is you try to give solutions to problems that you have no knowledge of , other than what you have read somewhere . If you have no first hand knowledge of this issue then why do you insist on polluting this board with your unknowing b.s. ? This poor guy dosent know if the solution is coming from someone who actually knows something or some intardweb hack that is just ebiking.

mtbr member
    The issue is you try to give solutions to problems that you have no knowledge of , other than what you have read somewhere . If you have no first hand knowledge of this issue then why do you insist on polluting this board with your unknowing b.s. ? This poor guy dosent know if the solution is coming from someone who actually knows something or some intardweb hack that is just ebiking.
    Umm, I gave him your solution, drrr. So basically you just put yourself down...good work
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Umm, I gave him your solution, drrr. So basically you just put yourself down...good work

That is exactly why I asked for your info , instead of you posting like you ever had an original thought or solution .

mtbr member
    That is exactly why I asked for your info , instead of you posting like you ever had an original thought or solution .
    When is there ever a original thought or solution to common bike problems???
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    When is there ever a original thought or solution to common bike problems???

Quoted for accuracy , goes to show just how little you do know . You have no buisness answering questions , especially abouut anything bike related . You answers more often than not are patently wrong , yet you continue to spew your second hand info as fact . Again I say that you do the entire MTB community a disservice every time you post .

mtbr member
    And here you go bringing a topic off topic to suit your own personal need to attack me, good work, your super.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

...idios...
    And here you go bringing a topic off topic to suit your own personal need to attack me, good work, your (sic) super.
    Do you understand the point that AZ is making? Do you understand the principle he's explained?

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

AZ
    banned

Check your PM's.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Guys....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

AZ
    banned
    /\ I resemble that , .

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If rotor contamination was the problem, then your pads would be contaminated as well and you would have poor performance with the roundagons as well. If and when you do need to clean a rotor, alcohol and brake cleaner both work well.

Some combinations of caliper/pads/rotor and frame/fork just don't work well together and you have the howling you have experienced. If set up is not the issue, then a component change (which you have done) is in order.

I don't see how "rotor finish" could be a problem because the pads quickly put their own finish on the rotor.

You have the problem solved so go ride and don't mess with success. The original G3 rotor may work well on a different bike or to replace the rear G3 when it wears out.

mtbr member
    Hey I just popped in here and for the first time I too am having squeal issues on some Hayes 2000 model year brakes (HFX Mag) and was looking for a great brake how to on the web or here. No luck here on a search and the web search- well...

Anyone have a favorite or is there a thread I am missing here? Thank you.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I tried:

-Hayes HFX9, Stroker Carbon
    -Avid Juicy Ultimate, Elixir R
    -Formula Oro Puro
    -Magura Marta SL

The Magura is worth the money. Powerful, and has not required a single bleed in two seasons. Those Germans make good stuff...
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Meh.
    Except the Marta is definitely NOT more powerful than a Elixir, probably not the Oro either... so something must have been wrong... No set of Martas that I have owned or ridden have even come close to power to an Elixir. That is not to say that the power is not adequate for XC.

Plus Marta brakes are not always the easiest to bleed and sometimes require multiple bleeds.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    -I have Elixer 5, brake howl. Using organic pads ( Black backing plate )
    -Rear worse than front.
    -Switched from HS1 rotor to G2 Cleansweep rotor and so far problem solved.
    -Going to put HS1 rotor onto a Sintered pad ( Gold backing plate ) and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I applied permatex brake lubricant(the purple stuff) on where the back of the brake pads touches the clip spreader. Problem solved... So far.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Brake pad paste

Yes I too applied brake paste to the backing plate of the pads. But have not finished testing to see if that was also helping the problem.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Update, after yesterdays ride.
    -Reset caliper pistons. ( Noticed that one pad was moving more than the other one.)
    -Lightly sanded pads, cleaned with isopropel alcohol.
    -Re-applied Mercedes-Benz brake paste.
    -First ride was almost completely squeek free, but this will confirm after another couple of rides.
    -Last time I got the brakes this quiet they stayed quiet so see how it goes.

Inspector Gadget
    Ever look at good automotive pads from your car? Notice they are chamfered on the edges? Do that to your pads with some sand paper. It works
    It's the perfect time of year, Somewhere far away from here.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have noticed that...and wondered as well. Will give it a go ! Thanks for the tip !

mtbr member
    May 2012
    In the end.
    Looks like the howl is gone. ( In short )
    -Kool stop organic pads.
    -G2 Clean sweep rotors.
    -A couple of applications of a sandy/soil ( Short of like liquefaction sediment, Christchurch has lots of it.)

-I poured this watery sandy soily stuff on the rotor, rode it. The howl came back but less, poured more of this concoction on the rotor again and the howl went away.
    I do have a annoying "tweet" still from a very tiny bit of rotor runout. ( Annoying but less than howling.)

mtbr member
    May 2012

Good job!

I couldn't fix this problem. It would get better and out of the blue worse....even during rides, my buddies couldn't believe it.
    HOWEVER, it is fixed now, Shimano XT with IceTec rotors. Thanks Shimano these brakes rule !

Members who have read this thread: 0