Avid Elixir R bleed noise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Avid Elixir R bleed noise

Hey guys

I have only had one set of disc brakes. I have a set of Elixir R and they are horrible. So I bought a bleed kit. The front is now great but the back is so bad. I have bleed it 5 times now. When I bleed it there is a small noise that comes from the lever like there is a hole some where. I didn't hear this while doing the front (i think).

Should there be a wheezy leaking hissy noise while bleeding? The amount of time and stress this is causing I am thinking that buying a new rear brake is a better use of my time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMajor
    Hey guys

I have only had one set of disc brakes. I have a set of Elixir R and they are horrible. So I bought a bleed kit. The front is now great but the back is so bad. I have bleed it 5 times now. When I bleed it there is a small noise that comes from the lever like there is a hole some where. I didn't hear this while doing the front (i think).

Should there be a wheezy leaking hissy noise while bleeding? The amount of time and stress this is causing I am thinking that buying a new rear brake is a better use of my time.
    The elixir r is a great break and is easy to bleed, you just have to know how. Don't pull the plunger hard when you are bleeding the lever, you will suck air in. Pull up on the plunger gently and depress the lever about 1or2mm to suck the air out. When the bubbles stop, push on the plunger to pressurize it a little.

You should have a solid lever feel and a ton of power. I bleed my elixir r's and cr's once or twice a year and they have gobs of power.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The front one has tons of power. I had the back running great and then after a long decent it was shitty again. I understand the idea of a plunge and vacuums. I have a feeling that there is a hole in the system.

I have bleed motor bike and older rim brakes before too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMajor
    The front one has tons of power. I had the back running great and then after a long decent it was shitty again. I understand the idea of a plunge and vacuums. I have a feeling that there is a hole in the system.

I have bleed motor bike and older rim brakes before too.
    The elixirs will make a sucking sound if you pull on the plunger too much when you are bleeding the lever. It is likely normal.

mtbr member
    Its the taperbore bladder expanding and shrinking from what I found out doing some research on this issue.

I just recently got a set of Elixir CR's and they too made the exact same noise.

Follow this video and you should be set:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/tech-tu...akes-2010.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    They make the noise even with the slightest touch of the plunger. Even pulling a mm out causes the noise.

I will check out the video now.

mtbr member
    Yes it is normal, even a slight amount of pressure it will make noise. Nothing to worry about as long as you don't see any leaks.

Members who have read this thread: 0