Avid Elixir pads, how long they last?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Avid Elixir pads, how long they last?

heyas,

i have just got a giant trance, has elixir R's, have done about 100km on it and one pad on the back is already at the wear indicator

had the same brakes on my previous bike and i last looked at them after about 400km and there was plenty of meat left on them

just wondering how far you guys are getting out of your pads? trying to work out what im doing wrong. also i tend to use my front brake more and they are fine its weird

mtbr member
    May 2009
    very strange and yes thats quick to eat up a pad. I've projected my CR wear to perhaps make 1000 miles. However, I am taking spare pads to Whistler just in case real DH is
    like 10x more wear. We shall see...
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by LoZzA199
    heyas,

i have just got a giant trance, has elixir R's, have done about 100km on it and one pad on the back is already at the wear indicator

had the same brakes on my previous bike and i last looked at them after about 400km and there was plenty of meat left on them

just wondering how far you guys are getting out of your pads? trying to work out what im doing wrong. also i tend to use my front brake more and they are fine its weird
    100km is way too short... you might have a sticking piston or the caliper was never properly centered.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    1000miles?? holy cow u must not ever use your brakes! Mine lasted around 300miles. and thats for both front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dogo
    1000miles?? holy cow u must not ever use your brakes! Mine lasted around 300miles. and thats for both front and rear.
    Depends totaly on how you ride, the conditions you ride in, and how you use your brakes. I've got a set of BB7s on my commuter bike and I've got over 800 miles on the current pads and they're still good. On my off road bike I can usually get maybe 400 miles out of them, sometimes less in wet years. These are both the stock Avid sintered pads.

To the OP. Sounds like you have a piston that is not retracting all the way, or a misaligned caliper. Could also be a contaminated or defective pad. But contaminated etc. pads usually show other symptoms as well. I'd say look into a stuck piston and/or caliper alignment first.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks for the replies

took my bike into my LBS for a service and they said its the riding i have been doing. its winter here in australia and i did 25kms in the rain and mud guess i didnt realise that is what did it

though i have got them to check for sticking pistons and things like that

thanks guys

mtbr member
    May 2009
    must be diamond dust mud there I guess there's no doubt in my mind that my bike has done more than 25 miles in real rain and mud on the current pads and half that was at Snowshoe so I was definitely on the brakes

seriously I believe the biggest factors in brake wear involve rotor size vs use and weight vs braking capacity. I ride with 203/185 rotors and for Maryland trails, thats some serious overkill. On top of that I weigh in at all of 150 pounds with a 10 pound backpad all geared up so overall the brakes are laughing at what I ask them to do. Trails are also on the slower side here so no great speeds are achieved.
    So perhaps its no great surprise that my brakes wear very slowly...
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

Members who have read this thread: 0