Avid Elixir Organic Brake Pads- Mtbr.com
    SoCal mtbr

Avid Elixir Organic Brake Pads

I ride a 08' Top Fuel with 185mm front and 160mm rear rotors, I'm 175lbs with gear on, I live in San Diego, I ride agressive trails with no jumps over 2 feet.

I have a set of Elixir R's and was thinking about trying some organic pads from Avid to see if they are quieter than the stock pads. Anyone have any experience switching to organic pads on their Elixir's? My stock brakes aren't really that pad but they do squeal a bit and if switching to organics would solve that then I'd give it a go. Are there any negatives to switching to organics besides pad life? I don't care if I have to change pads more often as long as I have quiet happy brakes.

BTW: My stock pads aren't as loud as some others on this forum have mentioned in the Juicy Mega thread so it's not that huge of an issue but if I can get brakes that don't make any noise at all I'd be a really happy camper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    While I don't have Elixers (BB7s) I tried organics & went back to metallics for two reasons: 1. Horribly short pad life (although quieter, which is your goal) & 2. Brake dust covered components (& it isn't easy or fun to clean off). I replaced the pads before they needed it, but was also adjusting them due to high-wear much more frequently.

Hope this helps.

SoCal mtbr
    How did they perform though? Did they have just as much bite or less bite, did they fade easily? How could you see the brake dust with all the dirt on your mtn bike? lol

mtbr member
    I found performance to be less than mettalics, and unfortunatley, they warbled on my setup. I'm 250lbs so that obviously has an impact on the resonating issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by arashi
    How did they perform though? Did they have just as much bite or less bite, did they fade easily? How could you see the brake dust with all the dirt on your mtn bike? lol
    First things first... The brake dust accumulated on TOP of the dirt!

When I got rid of the organics, I also switched from 185/160 Roundagons to 203/185 G3s. The conditions here are pretty much going up, or down, hills. On what few flats there are, the organic pads were okay, but they did have a tendency to fade near the end of most downhills. They seemed to bite alright at first, then when the heat built up, they'd fade a bit. I remember applying the "standard" amount of lever to scrub speed, then having to add more to keep from running into the palm trees. With the metallic, although noisier, I apply lever and that's it until I release. (BTW, the red adjustment knobs changed color to maroon, but are slowly becoming red again.) I also knew I made the right decision to go with metallics when I pulled off the calipers and was amazed at the amount of brake dust on them.

I was about 250 lbs., like jkiripatri, when I started riding again. I'm now around 210 and swapped out the organics about a month ago. If I was riding with organics @ 250, I'd NOT enjoy riding at all.

Bottom line, for me I'll not go back to organic pads again.

Members who have read this thread: 0