Avid Elixir CR Mag vs. XX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Avid Elixir CR Mag vs. XX

Other than some ti hardware and a two piece rotor......Is there really any difference in these two models. There seems to be quite a price jump between them????

mtbr member
    In addition to those you listed, XX has magnesium caliper, CR Mag has aluminum.
    German BIKE mag tested the brakes and the CR Mag was much more powerful than the XX. The cause for this might be the lightened rotors?

Btw: the most powerful brake in that test was Formula The One (2010 version) and it was almost as light as the XX.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    In addition to those you listed, XX has magnesium caliper, CR Mag has aluminum.
    German BIKE mag tested the brakes and the CR Mag was much more powerful than the XX. The cause for this might be the lightened rotors?

Btw: the most powerful brake in that test was Formula The One (2010 version) and it was almost as light as the XX.
    I doubt it is the lighter rotors. My guess would be that they probably redesigned the caliper to make it lighter thus decreasing the amount of fluid volume in the caliper which would decrease braking power.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by tussery
    I doubt it is the lighter rotors. My guess would be that they probably redesigned the caliper to make it lighter thus decreasing the amount of fluid volume in the caliper which would decrease braking power.
    It could also be the Mag calipers exhibit more flex than the aluminum ones. Could have to do with different pad compounds as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I also noted that XX brakes run only with organic pads. This could also limit some power. The mags have semi met. pads. Good call Will

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    I think it's mainly the pads. I'm going to try and swap organic pads in my XX for sintered from regular CR's to check the difference in braking power. I also run solid G3 rotors.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Its fair to say that for most XC applications that the CR mag has more than enough power. I have gone the 160/140, with hope floating rotors (which give less power than the G3) to reduce the chance of trail lockup if you have to panic brake. I have been most impressed with the power of all the sets of elixirs I've had (although 1 set had awful teething problems that only careful inspection managed to overcome).
    The XX are really 'race-day bike' brakes. All possible weight has been shaved to give just enough power for XC racing. I do plan to get a set, and use the hope rotors for an extra weight saving.

On an aside, the weight (without rotor and rotor bolts) of elixir CR mag and hope mono mini pros are about equal. The rotor is where the Hope's win out big time (30g/end).
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Members who have read this thread: 1