Avid Elixir and Code - Pads holding screws are stuck!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Avid Elixir and Code - Pads holding screws are stuck!

I recently bought a set of XO and Code brakes and the same thing happened to both rear caliper...

As I was replacing the organic pads with sintered ones, I broke both screws that holds the pads in place. They both got stuck after 1/4 turn and then broke with minimal force.

I manage to extract them and replace them with the steel screws that came with the replacement pads kit, but I had to fiddle quite bit...

The broken screws looked like really cheap black painted alloy, instead of steel.

So I wondering if the same thing appened to anyone else; it happened on 2 different calipers which is weird, and only the rear.

Maybe so dot fluid got into de threads at the factory??? The rear 'original' X0 pads clearly had be contaminated with dot...

Bad QC for sure!
    Last edited by dclxvi; 05-02-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    there's a c clip at the end of the bolt that you are supposed to remove before unscrewing the bolt. It's to prevent the bolt from rattling loose and backing out on it's own.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    thanks but i do know this... And I doubt the clip is strong enough to hold on the bold till failure!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke
    there's a c clip at the end of the bolt that you are supposed to remove before unscrewing the bolt. It's to prevent the bolt from rattling loose and backing out on it's own.

Members who have read this thread: 0