Avid Elixer CR Mag Demon Voice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Avid Elixer CR Mag Demon Voice

I have fairly new Avid Elixer CR mags that I installed. For the lat 5 or 6 rides they (the back brake) have been making a noise that sounds like a cross between the scream of 1,000 demons and a dentist drill. I tried realigning them (tightening while bolts were loose and then tightening bolts), but it didn't fix them. Any suggestions?

AZ
    banned
    You could try cleaning the rotors with Isopropyl Alcohol , sanding and chamfering the brake pads , Locktite Anti Squeal on the back of the pads , realigning the caliper . Good luck .

EDIT : Make sure that the pads are bedded in properly .

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'll look into it and give it a shot

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Unfortunately this is a common problem with these brakes, if you look around the forum you will find other posts with similar issues. Here are some things I would try.

1. Realign the brakes again, try putting a spacer in-between the pads and rotors when you allign them. I used a business card. This does help when I recenter brakes.
    2. I just went to a bike shop yesterday and he recommended roughing up the rotors with some sand paper or a dremel tool. Just enough to its no longer smooth. He said when the brakes contact a smooth surface they tend to squeal. I have not tried this yet but I plan to soon.
    3. Try raising the position of the brake with some small washers, lifting it up somewhat can help.

Is it a vibrating or squealing issue? I makes a difference as to how to fix it.

I'm just messing with you
    Check this idea out from a thread in the frame builder's forum
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=618531

You can skip to the last post if you want the Clif's notes version

I've got Elixir CRs on my BM and they haven't made a sound - yet. It's got post-mount front and rear though so maybe it won't. But if they ever do, a demon voice would sure be more fun than the usual turkey gobble.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlreese
    Unfortunately this is a common problem with these brakes, if you look around the forum you will find other posts with similar issues. Here are some things I would try.

1. Realign the brakes again, try putting a spacer in-between the pads and rotors when you allign them. I used a business card. This does help when I recenter brakes.
    2. I just went to a bike shop yesterday and he recommended roughing up the rotors with some sand paper or a dremel tool. Just enough to its no longer smooth. He said when the brakes contact a smooth surface they tend to squeal. I have not tried this yet but I plan to soon.
    3. Try raising the position of the brake with some small washers, lifting it up somewhat can help.

Is it a vibrating or squealing issue? I makes a difference as to how to fix it.

It kind of squeals and shimmies at the same time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Check this idea out from a thread in the frame builder's forum
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=618531

You can skip to the last post if you want the Clif's notes version

I've got Elixir CRs on my BM and they haven't made a sound - yet. It's got post-mount front and rear though so maybe it won't. But if they ever do, a demon voice would sure be more fun than the usual turkey gobble.

Yeah, I guess maybe it's a demon turkey gobble...

11 is one louder than 10
    Step 1 - Sell Avid Brakes

Step 2 - Purchase something else, I might suggest Shimano XT's.

Step 3 - Ride in silence.

Seriously, I rode Avid juicies in various forms for years. Sometimes I could quiet them down for a bit, but it always came back.

It's too bad, as they have many nice features. I would be tempted to run a complete Sram 2 x 10 set up but I don't want to deal with avid brakes, and I prefer twist shifters.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Switching to organic material brake pads cured the problem that I had with my Elixirs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant

Seriously, I rode Avid juicies in various forms for years. Sometimes I could quiet them down for a bit, but it always came back.

It's too bad, as they have many nice features. I would be tempted to run a complete Sram 2 x 10 set up but I don't want to deal with avid brakes, and I prefer twist shifters.
    I'm always startled by people's continued bad experiences with Juicy's and Elixirs. I have had several sets and have had only 1 with Demon from hell issues (which I solved by lubing the piston repeatedly). I think they may have more issues with certain bikes than with others - don't know why though
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Old man on a bike
    I think the sheer number of Avid brakes out there is likely to bring a certain number of complaints. Maybe I'm just lucky that in 4 sets of Avids (3 BB7s, 1 Elixir CR) that I'm noise free (other than wet/cold/mud kinda noise), or maybe I just pay a bit of attention to setup.

If you're the installer there might be something there to look at more carefully, too; just loosening bolts and squeezing a lever doesn't mean you set them up well; Avid CPS doesn't always setup well either. Look carefully to make sure of caliper/rotor/pad alignment, even pad gap on hydraulics, that sort of thing. Make sure you haven't introduced or run into something that could have contaminated your system. Sometimes harmonics do come into the picture. There's always rim brakes....but then they can be noisy when they're not setup well too. Sometimes just as you just gotta hunt a creak down, sometimes it's brake noise.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant

I just went for my second ride on my brand new Shimano Xt's brakes. I had a lot of brake honk. I used my existing rotors but no brake is immune. The front XT replaced a Elixir R that has never made a peep and the back was a HFX9 which also was dead quiet. So I guess XT's are not infallible.
    And I have lots of experience setting up and bleeding brakesets.
    Tonight I sanded both rotors and the pads so we will see if that helps. If not, those XT's are 86'd.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    yup metal on metal resonance.. it happens.. was like that with my hayes strokers as well

Rabid Lana fan
    Quote Originally Posted by tweezerGlint
    Yeah, I guess maybe it's a demon turkey gobble...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Skullhead
    I agree on the strokers , I own a bike shop and have had many of them have that metal to metal feel and you could also feel the machined slots in the rotor clunk through the pads. As for elixers I get a hand full of them that squeal pretty bad. I am not allowed to tell you how I have fixed all the brakes that come in my shop with these problems. If I do I might break a forum rule . I hope my NAME will help all of you to fix this problem.
    Got disc brake squeal !
    http://www.squealout.com

Members who have read this thread: 0