Avid Code problems- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Avid Code problems

Hey guys i have a set of Avid code brakes the front works great! now the rear is another story.. i had a very mushy feeling lever and i would have to pull it almost to the bars before it would stop hard.. well i bled the rear lever feels better but while doing the bleeding procedure i noticed that the pad adjustment cam would not really do anything for the lever.. it didn't stop going either way at all i could pretty much turn it either way and it would not hit that point where it would stop turning being all the way in or out. has anyone had this problem?

also is it normal for the fluid it look this bad with like black debris in it?

you can see some of it here most of was it was suck in the syring

Last edited by Darkstar187; 11-30-2010 at 09:35 PM.

T.W.O.
    That looks bad. May want to flush out the systems. Is there any crack on the calipers or master cylinder? It should look amber clear.

mtbr member
    Yep Time for new brake fluid and a good flush of the brake system.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks guys! thats the game plan a full flush! and no leaking on the brakes at all..

As for the pad adjuster not woking... i took the whole lever apart and as i was doing so a snap ring came flying out so it look as if the snap ring that holds the whole internal assembly in the body of the of the lever it self, which did not let the gear engage on to the other gear to adjust the pads.... so now i have to get the correct size snap ring piller to set it all back in and see if that fixes it

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    and for those who need it i found the rebuilt directions from avid!

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/avid/.../TM_MY09_E.pdf

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    little update if anyone has this problem.. if your pad adjuster dial stops working then the c clip inside the lever must have come out.. you will need snap ring pliers to put it back in place. i used craftsman 1" retaining ring pliers to get it back in there its a pain in the ass. non the less i took the levers apart cleaned them all out to get ride of that nasty fluid bled just the lever and i was in business they are feeling great again!

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar187
    little update if anyone has this problem.. if your pad adjuster dial stops working then the c clip inside the lever must have come out.. you will need snap ring pliers to put it back in place. i used craftsman 1" retaining ring pliers to get it back in there its a pain in the ass. non the less i took the levers apart cleaned them all out to get ride of that nasty fluid bled just the lever and i was in business they are feeling great again!
    Yea those clips can be a real pain to replace. Glad you figured it out man.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    update: i went on a ride wow! this are badass brake!!! work amazing

Members who have read this thread: 0