Avid Code 5 Keeps Locking Up- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Avid Code 5 Keeps Locking Up

I've been running 2009 Code 5's for a few months now and they've been awesome to me for the most part.

One new issue I've been having recently is that when my bike is upside down (for maintenance and stuff), the rear brake slowly seizes up for no reason and the lever goes completely slack. The bike is not sitting on the lever at all while it's upside down. This only seems to happen outside when the temperature is in the 50f (10c) and lower range. It usually takes me a couple of minutes of pumping the lever over and over again with the bike right-side up to get the brake working as intended again.

The front brake does not do this, it works perfectly all the time in any orientation in any temperature (so far).

Does anyone have insight into this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    So I gather the caliper locks onto the rotor while the lever has a bunch of free play?
    You are not what you own.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GoremanX
    I've been running 2009 Code 5's for a few months now and they've been awesome to me for the most part.

One new issue I've been having recently is that when my bike is upside down (for maintenance and stuff), the rear brake slowly seizes up for no reason and the lever goes completely slack. The bike is not sitting on the lever at all while it's upside down. This only seems to happen outside when the temperature is in the 50f (10c) and lower range. It usually takes me a couple of minutes of pumping the lever over and over again with the bike right-side up to get the brake working as intended again.

The front brake does not do this, it works perfectly all the time in any orientation in any temperature (so far).

Does anyone have insight into this?
    I am betting and air bubble???

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by juancancook
    So I gather the caliper locks onto the rotor while the lever has a bunch of free play?
    That's exactly right

mtbr member
    Bleed them. You definitely have something funky going on with your brake fluid, be it an air bubble or contamination, I can't say.
    Build.
    Ride.
    Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    crap, I was afraid of that. I had the front one bled by the LBS when I shortened the hose, but the rear hose length was perfect so I didn't touch it. Saved me some money.

On a side note, the factory Avid bleeding sucks. My front brake (which has been re-bled) feels perfect, my rear brake (which has the factory bleed) feels mushy by comparison.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    I am betting and air bubble???
    'twas air in the caliper. Had them bled today, and now the brakes work better than ever.

Members who have read this thread: 0