Avid BBDB compatible with 2004 XT Disc Hubs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr junior member

Avid BBDB compatible with 2004 XT Disc Hubs?

i want to build a new wheelset with 2004 XT hubs (hb-m765) and the rotors must be the centre-locked one from shimano instead of the 6-bolt one. i am currently using the Avid Mechanical disc brake(rotors may be 165mm or 160mm rotor, i forgot).
    My questions are whether there will be any problem regarding to the size and the thickness of both rotors. will my caliper still work with the new XT rotor?
    thanx~

Bad Case of the Mondays

Should be OK

Thickness of the rotor shouldn't be a problem since you can manually adjust the pads on the Avid caliper. I'd think you would have to run the same size rotor (or get an adapter).

Quote Originally Posted by suichai
    i want to build a new wheelset with 2004 XT hubs (hb-m765) and the rotors must be the centre-locked one from shimano instead of the 6-bolt one. i am currently using the Avid Mechanical disc brake(rotors may be 165mm or 160mm rotor, i forgot).
    My questions are whether there will be any problem regarding to the size and the thickness of both rotors. will my caliper still work with the new XT rotor?
    thanx~

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by suichai
    thanx~
    I just picked up a set of Juicys, but I posed that same question to Avid before I did. The official answer is that center lock rotors will work, but will yield uneven pad wear. Apparently, they're off to one side just a tad. Shouldn't be a problem, though.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    The pad wear shouldn't be a problem on the ball bearing mechanicals though, as they don't have the self centering feature of hydros. The rider sets the pads with the red knobs, so you should be able to offset the pads anyway you want.

Also with the Juicys, what about shimming the caliper so it lined up directly over the center lock rotor? Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems like it would solve the problem to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    I just picked up a set of Juicys, but I posed that same question to Avid before I did. The official answer is that center lock rotors will work, but will yield uneven pad wear. Apparently, they're off to one side just a tad. Shouldn't be a problem, though.

ride

good point on the shims

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    The pad wear shouldn't be a problem on the ball bearing mechanicals though, as they don't have the self centering feature of hydros. The rider sets the pads with the red knobs, so you should be able to offset the pads anyway you want.

Also with the Juicys, what about shimming the caliper so it lined up directly over the center lock rotor? Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems like it would solve the problem to me.
    No shimming for me - post moutnt Manitous. With an IS mount, though, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Good point. Typical shimano - they've got to be their own deal. I like the center lock idea, though. Just makes good mechanical sense to me. Simple, too.

On MTBR hiatus :(

Shimano did a good job...

...of making these new brakes & rotors of theirs IS compliant from the standpoint of mixed installations.

The "center lock" rotors have the same OLD offset as an IS-compliant 6-bolt hub and rotor. It's should be no problem mixing a center lock hub & rotor with a Avid caliper or a 6-bolt Avid rotor with a Shimano caliper.

Not sure where the uneven wear comment is coming from, unless it's in reference to Shimano brake track width.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by f*nŠtik

Not sure where the uneven wear comment is coming from, unless it's in reference to Shimano brake track width.
    I'm not too sure. None of the tech guys were available when I called. I got the answer from the gal that answered the phone. I sounded as if she was reading from a list of FAQs.

Bike Hoor
    I emailed Avid about this very thing, and they tell me that you can use their caliper with the 2004 centerlock XT rotors (160mm XT and XTR)
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0