Avid BB7s Rub Only When I am on the Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Avid BB7s Rub Only When I am on the Bike

So I got some new Avid BB7 and installed according to the instruction and video. No rubbing, they work etc...

Then when I get on the bike, the things rub?!?!?! Get off, spin wheel, no rubbing. Get back on, annoying rubbing sound.

It's not rubbing hard enough to kill momentum, but it's annoying on a peaceful trail.

Any ideas?!?!

And yeah, it's a 29er so I made sure I wasn't using 26er rotors.

mtbr member
    Is your wheel on tight enough on the fork

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think the wheel is pretty darn tight. I have tried loosening it, and tightening it more.

The rotor seems to have plenty of clearance between the pads, but obviously when I am riding it I can't see what it's doing... is there any chance this is just a break in issue that will correct itself?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I should add, I just played with it, and since I have a carbon fiber rigid front fork on this bike, it has a tiny bit of flex. Enough that I can manually pull the wheel to make the pads rub.

So my thoughts are this... if I keep riding it and just break the brakes in, it might stop or at least lessen. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dial the pads out so they dont rub while riding, problem solved.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    But when I do that, the cable is too loose and I can not get it tight enough to pull the brakes.

I did just get back from a 20+ miler on the bike and, although the stopping power increased dramatically as the pads were matched to the rotor, the noise still persisted. And when going really fast (as fast as my SS would let me) it got REAL loud.

mtbr member
    Might be difficult but do the setup process while your sitting on the bike. Perhaps a friend will be handy.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    From one of my favorite movies...

"Gump, you're a God damned genius Gump!"

Will have the wife try it as soon as I finish my post ride brew.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214
    I should add, I just played with it, and since I have a carbon fiber rigid front fork on this bike, it has a tiny bit of flex. Enough that I can manually pull the wheel to make the pads rub.
    Sounds like the hub bearings are out of adjustment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    hmmm... I will just have to take the bike in to the shop then as I don't know how to adjust those.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You might want to figure out if that is it before you bring it in. With the wheel installed and the QR tight grab the wheel and see if there is any side to side movement.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    check hub bearings

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There's no side to side movement that resembles when my hub bearings were loose on my other bike...

I just bought the bike used from an owner of an LBS, so I am sure he will probably adjust it for next to, if not, nothing.

I love this freaking bike, but this is highly annoying.

mtbr member
    Sounds like your hub is fine.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member

Fork flex, easily fixed

I had a bike in the past that did this. No noise when spinning the wheel, only when you put the weight on and ride it. Hub bearings and everything was fine, but still rubbed.

I simply had to adjust one of the pads a little bit further out. You can put weight on the bike and let a friend look and see which is rubbing, or just back one side out 2 or 3 clicks, ride it a little ways and if it still rubs, try the other side. Mine simply had to be adjusted to work with weight on it. No problems doing it that way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well, took it to the LBS. They put a new cable on it and he was able to adjust it until it wouldn't do it any more. Strange, but I'm happy now

Members who have read this thread: 0