Avid BB7 Ultimate- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: None's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    590

    Avid BB7 Ultimate

    Wonder why there is no Avid BB7 Ultimate? This very reliable easy to set-up and use brake which is on all kinds of bikes from zions to custom Ti. Anyone that demands low/no maintenance and performance runs them.
    I find very little gain in performance vs reliability performance or adjustability to the Juicy ultimates. Which serve thier own grouppies.
    I would think that if Avid made some type of BB7 ultimate, being a little lighter, better finish (black ano of course) maybe ti hardware and thier lightest rotor I'd buy 'em in a flash!

    How about YOU?

  2. #2
    Freshly Fujified
    Reputation: Call_me_Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,199

    Makes sense to me

    Would I buy them? I don't know, but my guess is they'd sell.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

  3. #3
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,787
    Yeah.. I think it could be a nice idea... as Bob, I am not sure if I would use them...but I guess lots of people would...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Go Kart Motzart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,238
    Good idea.

    I've wondered this myself. I guess some people might consider the mechanicals a "lesser" product to begin with and not worthy of a Ultimate version. I, however, have found the cable actuated brakes to be superior to hydros in just about every respect. Less complex, easy to maintain and plenty of power.

    I would love to see a high zoot version. Might be a great opportunity for Avid.

  5. #5
    ~I Ride In Circles ~
    Reputation: ZoSoSwiM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,629
    Mechs just aren't as cool as hydo's... I rub BB7 Mechs and have no desire to switch to Hydos' ever. I think that if Avid put out an ultimate version of the BB7's they'd sell like crazy.
    ~ it's all good ~

  6. #6
    dontcha?
    Reputation: captain spaulding's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,425
    I think a utltimate version of the BB7's would price-wise compete with their Juicy line and would somehow take sales away from their Juicy line. Plus does anybody make a better mechanical disc brake system that even competes with the BB7's? Not as far as I know, I don't really see a reason why Avid would make it, if it doesn't break why fix it analogy fits this case..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: None's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by captain spaulding
    I think a utltimate version of the BB7's would price-wise compete with their Juicy line and would somehow take sales away from their Juicy line. Plus does anybody make a better mechanical disc brake system that even competes with the BB7's? Not as far as I know, I don't really see a reason why Avid would make it, if it doesn't break why fix it analogy fits this case..
    Look, they have thier rim brakes in regular and ultimate version, and now of course juicy regular and ultimates. Thier levers in three different levels including ultimates and the mechanicals in two versions (BB5 +7). So no real reason no to on price front because they all overlap in prices. Especially on the mechanical front as the levers are not propriatary.
    I find it weird that the most successful brake they offer is the only version that does not have an "ultimate" option.
    The mechanicals are THE most spec'd disc brake out there by a large margin. However, if your building something a little special I'd like to have the choice to "upgrade" my mechanicals to somethig a little more deserveing.
    Even a "Ultimate BB7 package" set-up like, ultimate levers and top cable set with smooth finish black ano calipers perfect!
    I'll let the bean counters decide on price but I'd go 200 bucks over normal for the set.


    Whaddya say SRAM/AVID?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,949
    One "kinda sorta" exists. Might be some reasoning in there for you to find as to why they don't exist. Long read, but most seem to think it's worth it.

    Read up;

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...hlight=fixture
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies.

  9. #9
    Freshly Fujified
    Reputation: Call_me_Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,199

    Nice job Andrew

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    One "kinda sorta" exists. Might be some reasoning in there for you to find as to why they don't exist. Long read, but most seem to think it's worth it.

    Read up;

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...hlight=fixture
    Great thread and I must say I'm impressed with what you did. I take it you've had no issues with the modified calipers?

    Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Great thread and I must say I'm impressed with what you did. I take it you've had no issues with the modified calipers?

    Bob
    I got in one ride using an improperly sized rotor (the early Type F caliper I used was meant for a 165 mm rotor, not 160). I beat on it for about an hour and it was fine. Not sure what that says or with how much "oomph", but ..... that's all I got. (shrug)

    Nice for the weight reduction, but it's still the same pos brake. (sorry, I just really don't like those things - IMHO, YMMV and all that stuff)
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies.

  11. #11
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    I got in one ride using an improperly sized rotor (the early Type F caliper I used was meant for a 165 mm rotor, not 160). I beat on it for about an hour and it was fine. Not sure what that says or with how much "oomph", but ..... that's all I got. (shrug)

    Nice for the weight reduction, but it's still the same pos brake. (sorry, I just really don't like those things - IMHO, YMMV and all that stuff)
    Andrew, after the pads wear a while you may notice some hang up of the pad on the outer edge of the rotor. It will surface a rubbing you can not adjust out. Simple enough to file down the mount to bring the caliper 2.5mm closer to the axle. I did this when using the older caliper with a 185mm rotor.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Andrew, after the pads wear a while you may notice some hang up of the pad on the outer edge of the rotor. It will surface a rubbing you can not adjust out. Simple enough to file down the mount to bring the caliper 2.5mm closer to the axle. I did this when using the older caliper with a 185mm rotor.
    HAHA! Wow shiggy, you have got timing! I just pulled the caliper out again a moment ago, looked at it and wondered why the heck I even bothered with those stupid CPS washers anyways. I could just use some plain washers (if needed) to space it out properly.

    I like your way to skin the cat, too, though. More permanent and keeps the CPS.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.