Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: avid bb7 issue

  1. #1
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127

    avid bb7 issue

    Have an issue, just bought new avid BB7 with 180mm rotors. Did my homework on install torqued everything and all that by the book.

    Well seems I did something wrong because backs are broke in perfectly had to back pads off a click cause they have insane power even with speed dial 7 levers all the way soft. Fronts on the otherhand suck. Thinking I set too tight as I'm used to setting v-brakes. Guessing I glazed the front pads.

    Anyone let me know if I'm on the right track and what's the best way to fix it as i said this hole set is brand new about 10miles paved on my marlin 29er

    Thnx

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    591
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

  3. #3
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Thinking I set too tight as I'm used to setting v-brakes.
    What was set too tight ?

  4. #4
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127
    I had my front brakes what I thought would be set too tight, too close to rotor and minimal movement in the lever for contact to be made.

    And thnx for the link, sounds like im on the right track with the front, I did what was said already, emery paper to the pads and rotor to redo the fronts. Now just to get the backs sorted.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10
    If you think you glazed them bes to just sand them down

  6. #6
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127
    OK so I got new rotors in (found some Ashimas on ebay for cheap, but the decent AiRotor ones!) and this time cleaned EVERYTHING properly after install just to make sure.

    Situation remained except for insane noise in the rear, only mild atm and going away.

    FRONT....so started looking close something wasnt right AT ALL. Braking is a bit better than before rotor change but still weak....

    SO I started looking closely at the caliper and its movement, omg I FOUND THE DAMN PROBLEM. The adjuster plate that is against the pad that moves, sits inside the main piston, was coming out at a funny angle. Took pads out and it flopped around inside the caliper and a bit of shaking it FELL OUT!!! WTF??? so I looked and shook, little retainer ring fell out....FACTORY ASSEMBLY SCREW UP!!! put the retainer on the plate properly, shoved it back in the piston (yes had to split the caliper to do all this) and put everything back together.

    AND HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, HUGE DIFFERENCE, brakes work GOOD and they arent even bedded barely yet!!!!!!!

    Thnx for the help guys, at the very least all this reading and help I have learned fully how these things are supposed to work when all done properly and how to fix when they arent.

    THNX MUCH!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.