mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Avid BB7 install

I'm hoping this is a stupid question and I'm just missing something obvious, but here goes:

I recently decided to upgrade to a front disc and ordered a Avid BB7. When I received it, it came out of the box as a single unit - with the rotor firmly clamped between the calipers. Is it supposed to be like this? I can't seem to figure out how to get them apart. The installation instructions don't mention anything about it, and there's no obvious way to loosen the calipers. I've tried turning the red adjustment knobs, but they won't budge. Can anybody help me out? If you've ordered these brakes, did they come like this? Am I an idiot and just overlooking something basic?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Turn the red knobs counter-clockwise
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I tried that, they don't seem to want to move. How hard should they be to loosen?

club très grand de VTT

What Shiggy Said

Dude,

With the BB7's sometimes them knobs can be a bit tough to turn. Suggest you try loosening the smaller (outboard) knob first. The bigger (inboard - facing the spokes) knob is generally harder to turn.

Keep trying, you'll get there in the end.

Cheers,

P.
    "There are no hills on this trail. It's all flat." - Scott TDF Roberts

:\ ping of death
    Not hard at all. Where did you order it from and did it come in an official Avid box?

The caliper has two adjustment knobs, inboard and outboard. Try to loosen both at the same time counter-clockwise.
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

mtbr member
    Might sound dumb, but is there anything holding the cable torque arm in the "on" position? (the part that the brake cable pulls on).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by faradman
    Might sound dumb, but is there anything holding the cable torque arm in the "on" position? (the part that the brake cable pulls on).
    Good thought!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    this is the second time I have seen this... lol.... the other person returned the brake because they thought it was defective....

they all come that way... once you get the roter out by turning the red knobs counter clock-wise turn them all the way back, and forth a few times to loosen them up...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Okay, I got them apart. I wanted to make sure that they were supposed to come like that before I took a pair of robogrips to 'em to get some leverage. Thanks for the help, all.

:\ ping of death
    Quote Originally Posted by Larv
    Okay, I got them apart. I wanted to make sure that they were supposed to come like that before I took a pair of robogrips to 'em to get some leverage. Thanks for the help, all.
    Theyre not supposed to come like that. The rotor sits in the middle of the box and the caliper has its own little compartment in the upper right corner of the box. But if you got it apart, who cares?
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous
    Theyre not supposed to come like that. The rotor sits in the middle of the box and the caliper has its own little compartment in the upper right corner of the box.
    phoeneous, they did come in an Avid box, and seemed to be fit into their respective places in the box. Avid obviously designed the packaging with the overlap in mind, what I wasn't sure about was whether the caliper was supposed to come clamped down on the rotor like that. I tried to contact the company I ordered it from (Wheelworld - not impressed) but they never responded to my emails. All seems to be good now, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous
    Theyre not supposed to come like that. The rotor sits in the middle of the box and the caliper has its own little compartment in the upper right corner of the box. But if you got it apart, who cares?

the 06 come clamped together like the thread starter described... I can't speak for the older ones....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Larv

No problem.. if you need any help on installing let us know...

make sure you go by the torque specs... don't mistake ft lbs for in lbs.... I have seen people do that....

Members who have read this thread: 0