mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Avid BB7 brake won't fit on fork

I have a Spinner Grind fork on my HT. I recently tried to install an Avid BB7 brake on it, but it appears that the tabs on the fork are a bit too thick. The caliper is too far to the right, and is about 1 mm away from hitting the spokes. It also means that I can't set the brake up properly, as the left brake pad will always drag on the rotor.

Is there any solution to this, besides ditching such a high performance fork?

Former Bike Wrench
    A fork with little 25.4mm stanchions and BB7's sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. You could get out a dremel and machine the tabs down a bit, but a new fork (even something as cheap as a RS Dart 1) would be a far better and safer option.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm assuming the fork is IS mount, where there is an adapter that sits between the brake caliper and the fork mounts?

Have you loosened the bolts that attach the caliper to the adapter and moved the caliper away from the spokes as far as it will go?? This is the usual method for mating fork tabs (which can be wildly out of place) to the position of the rotor on the wheel.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    I'm assuming the fork is IS mount, where there is an adapter that sits between the brake caliper and the fork mounts?
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    Have you loosened the bolts that attach the caliper to the adapter and moved the caliper away from the spokes as far as it will go?? This is the usual method for mating fork tabs (which can be wildly out of place) to the position of the rotor on the wheel.
    Yes, indeed. I'll try it again, just to be sure. Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm thinking that the BB7 is a bit wider than the IO brake that came with the bike. The IO fits on there well enough - clearance and brake operation are not an issue.

mtbr member
    I'll tend to agree with MtnBiker72 and say be careful with that POS fork and those BB7s. Seriously the fork costs about 2/3 or less of the set of BB7s with a good deal, that should be some indication right there of the fork quality. Consider upgrading the fork if you plan on doing any serious off road, most especially if you're not around your ideal body weight. I couldn't possibly imagine riding a fork with stanchions that noodly and I'm only 165-170lbs.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??