Avid 7's Break Pads....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Avid 7's Break Pads....

Its seems time to replace the pads on my avid mechanical 7's and pick up a spair set of rotors for a new wheel set I am building.

Currently I have the polygone (160mm&185mm) rotors. Should I stick with the oem stuff or are there better pad and rotors out there.

Thanks

Meh.
    For the 185, you'll probably have to stick with Avid. Hayes V7 measure out to be 183mm. I prefer the Cleansweep or the CS2 over the Polygon. For pads, it depends on what kind of riding you do. EBC and Galfer make some nice pads. Avid offers pads in semi-metallic and organic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What about Alligator's Ceramic pads? I'm in the same boat. I'll be upgrading to 185/160 Clean Sweeps and would like new pads as well.

Meh.
    I know with cars, ceramic pads will wear out the rotor before the pads need to be replaced. They also feel like crap on cars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I know with cars, ceramic pads will wear out the rotor before the pads need to be replaced. They also feel like crap on cars.
    False.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    ceramic pads are better for race cars because they only work well when they get hot. So if you're racing they'd be okay.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    False.
    Not entirely false. I worked in an auto shop... I had ceramics on my car for a while... Ceramic pads are harder. Like any harder pad, it will wear the rotor quicker. Perhaps it's wrong to say that the rotor will wear out, but the rotor's most likely going to be trashed before the pads.

I didn't like the feel. Low speed it felt like they didn't have enough bite. High speed, my brakes would just fade out. Maybe they were just crappy pads, but the semi-metallics I replaced them with were nothing special either.
    Last edited by XSL_WiLL; 10-18-2007 at 02:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Race cars use a much different ceramic pad than street cars. Before ceramics and carbon fiber race vehicles used metallic pads. Not semi-metallic, metallic. They require a bit of heat to get them to bit but do not fade as much as semi-metallic or organic. I think now they use some carbon fiber ceramic pads. Think of a ceramic brake pad for a regular car as a semi-ceramic. Instead of the metal bits a semi-metallic pad has, they are replaced with ceramics. This gives the pad more of the stopping power of a semi-metallic, but without the noise, like an organic. The other benefit is a much finer dust that doesn't stick as well to components like all the dust from an organic pad. Ceramic pads may eat the rotor faster, but the ceramic pads last longer. I'd rather replace pads than rotors but I don't think that they'll eat it any faster than a semi-metallic. Ceramics are also not susceptible to changes in temperatures. Their structure is very brittle, not lending much to thermal expansion.

Members who have read this thread: 0