a'm I the only person that has'nt had any issues with elixirs ??- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863

    a'm I the only person that has'nt had any issues with elixirs ??

    I have a few sets and they have been great....

  2. #2
    TRANCER
    Reputation: Biohazard74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,518
    Same here. I must say I am very happy that I switched to Elixers. No BS with them at all so far. I think I heard a minor squeak one time when I went through a puddle and it went away after about half a mile of riding. Other than that its all great!

    Edit: maybe I should of mentioned that this was a very rainy day and it was wet all day raining nonstop. It squealed a bit after I went through a deep puddle that submerged the entire calipers.
    Last edited by Biohazard74; 12-21-2010 at 11:43 PM.
    Ride

  3. #3
    i ride bikez!!11!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    485
    My CR mags are great!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    17
    I've been running Elixir R's since late '08 without any issues. Bumped the front rotor up to a 203 this past summer for a little extra stopping power on those long downhills.

  5. #5
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,423
    I've had no trouble with my Elixir CRs. I was worried about trying hydros again after a prior bad experience with another brand, but found that to be baseless.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  6. #6
    Spice
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    685
    My CR's are great, none of the riding buddies have had problems either

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    100
    No problems with the CR's that I've been running for a couple of years. Had to remove a drop or two of brake fluid from my rear to resolve some minor rubbing but no probs since.

  8. #8
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,304
    +1
    Been flawless and were easy to set-up with the CPS system. 7 in in front and 6in in the rear. Plenty of power and good modulation.
    What esle would you want. And so far very reliable in over a year no problems.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    140
    I have Elixir's on 2 bikes and have never had a problem.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 11053's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,391
    Elixir Rs and CRs and no problems.

  11. #11
    TRANCER
    Reputation: Biohazard74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,518
    Like I said before. Most reviews are always made my someone who has had a bad experience. People who usually have a good product never think "hey let me go write a review about this wonderful,perfect working device"! On the other hand if someone has something that breaks, they get pissed and they go b1tch on a message board. If I had to go on reviews written everywhere id never buy a thing. I use a few products that a lot of crap was talked about yet I have them and beat em up and I'm still riding
    Ride

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    581
    Easiest brakes I've ever had to deal with. Just bolted em on and lived happily ever after. No turkey noise...in fact no rub whatsoever. They just work, easy-peasy.

  13. #13
    MEGALOMANIAC
    Reputation: Hawgzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,979
    yes, you are the only one...
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    yes, you are the only one...
    I thought so,till everyone else pitched in sucker...

  15. #15
    MEGALOMANIAC
    Reputation: Hawgzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,979
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    I thought so,till everyone else pitched in sucker...
    Don't try to pull the wool over my eyes, LOL! It's obvious that you have multiple user names and posted every single reply except for mine! There, you are and remain the only one who has never had a problem with any Avid product for that matter...
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

  16. #16
    TRANCER
    Reputation: Biohazard74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,518
    Lol
    Ride

  17. #17
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    Don't try to pull the wool over my eyes, LOL! It's obvious that you have multiple user names and posted every single reply except for mine! There, you are and remain the only one who has never had a problem with any Avid product for that matter...

    Busted!....Guilty as charged!

  18. #18
    MEGALOMANIAC
    Reputation: Hawgzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,979
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman
    Busted!....Guilty as charged!
    Well, my '09 Epic did come with Elixir SLs. They were very fussy. So, I UPGRADED to Maguras and never looked back. My buddy who also bought an '09 Epic at the same time and kept his Elixir SLs. He has had nothing but trouble with them for the past year AND we were both amazed at how fast the pads wore down. He was braking on metal to metal in just a matter of 3 or 4 moths! In fact he is so unhappy with these brakes that he is sorry he ever bought the bike. It's made the "new bike" thing a total nightmare.

    But yes, I am guilty of this fact: My wife's new bike has low quality mechanical discs and I want to upgrade to better mechanicals. I will be going with BB7s when the time comes.

    ...Lick it!
    Last edited by Hawgzilla; 12-25-2010 at 09:05 AM.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

  19. #19
    Masher
    Reputation: MisterC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    Most reviews are always made...
    I just love statements like this.


    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    People who usually have a good product never...
    And this. (almost missed it)
    Last edited by MisterC; 12-25-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    Stand For Something.

  20. #20
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    Well, my '09 Epic did come with Elixir SLs. They were very fussy. So, I UPGRADED to Maguras and never looked back. My buddy who also bought an '09 Epic at the same time and kept his Elixir SLs. He has had nothing but trouble with them for the past year AND we were both amazed at how fast the pads wore down. He was braking on metal to metal in just a matter of 3 or 4 moths! In fact he is so unhappy with these brakes that he is sorry he ever bought the bike. It's made the "new bike" thing a total nightmare.

    But yes, I am guilty of this fact: My wife's new bike has low quality mechanical discs and I want to upgrade to better mechanicals. I will be going with BB7s when the time comes.

    ...Lick it!
    Going back to the dark ages are we?

    lol

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slomtbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    208
    My bike came with Elixir CRs, and the turkey gobble started after a few rides. After an email to bikesdirect I have quiet brakes. I'd 'broken in' the brakes a la car brakes, easy stops, etc. I gave the pads a light sanding, and after 20 hard stops (no lockups) from about 15mph to seat the pads, they've been quiet for the last several rides.

  22. #22
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by cc_math
    My bike came with Elixir CRs, and the turkey gobble started after a few rides. After an email to bikesdirect I have quiet brakes.
    That's a pretty amazing email. I wish I could get my 150hr shock service done that way.

    To the OP, no, you a're not the only one.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slomtbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    208
    I'm sending and email on your behalf presently; your shock should be servicing itself soon Merry Christmas!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,306
    they setup fine but the rear brakes are over filled from the factory. pain in the ass when assembling new bikes

  25. #25
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    I've had J5s, J7s, Elixirs, BB5, BB7, etc. They've all been just fine.

  26. #26
    MEGALOMANIAC
    Reputation: Hawgzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,979
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman
    Going back to the dark ages are we?

    lol
    Its a $500 bike and my wife just went on her first ride on it today. It was her first ride on any bike in at least 20 years. No way I'm gonna dump much cash into a starter bike. I'm staying with mechanicals, thank you!

    She actually did very well, LOL. She mounted the bike, I reminded her which levers did what and she took off. I expected her to ride to the end of our block and then turn around. So, I waited, and waited, and waited...nothing. Went inside for a few minutes and then went back out...nothing, nobody, gone!

    Now I'm getting worried. I go back inside and get a call from her stating that she went to her Mom's, some 3 miles away. Scared me to death!

    But she came back in one piece and said the ride was fabulous! She can't wait to go back out tomorrow, if it doesn't rain...
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    Don't try to pull the wool over my eyes, LOL! It's obvious that you have multiple user names and posted every single reply except for mine! There, you are and remain the only one who has never had a problem with any Avid product for that matter...
    Caught !! damm.....

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    Its a $500 bike and my wife just went on her first ride on it today. It was her first ride on any bike in at least 20 years. No way I'm gonna dump much cash into a starter bike. I'm staying with mechanicals, thank you!

    She actually did very well, LOL. She mounted the bike, I reminded her which levers did what and she took off. I expected her to ride to the end of our block and then turn around. So, I waited, and waited, and waited...nothing. Went inside for a few minutes and then went back out...nothing, nobody, gone!

    Now I'm getting worried. I go back inside and get a call from her stating that she went to her Mom's, some 3 miles away. Scared me to death!

    But she came back in one piece and said the ride was fabulous! She can't wait to go back out tomorrow, if it doesn't rain...
    You bought your wife a $500. bike ... and your rideing a $2000. bike,step it up..

  29. #29
    MEGALOMANIAC
    Reputation: Hawgzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,979
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    You bought your wife a $500. bike ... and your rideing a $2000. bike,step it up..
    I'm riding a $3000+ bike, get it right if youre gonna talk smack, LOL!

    Plus, it's doubtful she'll ever even ride on any dirt other than through the local city park.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    I'm riding a $3000+ bike, get it right if youre gonna talk smack, LOL!

    Plus, it's doubtful she'll ever even ride on any dirt other than through the local city park.
    Yhea I hear ya..anyway,I'm a firm believer that a womens place is in the kitchen..

  31. #31
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    Yhea I hear ya..anyway,I'm a firm believer that a womens place is in the kitchen..
    And on a <$1000 bike...in the city park...if she actually ever rides
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    82
    I have elixir CRs and 7s and have owned Juicy ultimates. I like the CRs more than the Ultimates, no turkey gobble noise. Any product can have problems. QC at SRAM seems to be pretty good and at AVID inside SRAM QC might have been behind but improving. I have read negative reviews about most popular brakes: Formula, Hays, and AVID. The Elixirs are a well built brake with nice adjustment features. No problems here.

  33. #33
    Ride or die
    Reputation: mountainbikeloco's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    402
    I have run Juicy 7s, and Elixer R and CRs and only had the warble on my 7's for one ride. Set them up properly and never had any problems until they wore out. Upgraded to the Elixer R's then CRs and love the power and modulation.

    Spend a little time perfecting the set-up and reap the rewards.

  34. #34
    C.L.I.M.B.er
    Reputation: AMPanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    16
    does anyone know of aftermarket pad adjustments for the elixer r ?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Milkman311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by AMPanator
    does anyone know of aftermarket pad adjustments for the elixer r ?
    I too would love contact pad adjustment on my elixir 5's. I haven't heard of any aftermarket additions. Afraid we'll have to upgrade to CR to get it.

  36. #36
    Never trust a fart
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,282
    Nope, no aftermarket system. You will either need to either upgrade to the Elixer CR's system, or upgrade the brake lever/master cylinder to the Elixer CR.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Annadel72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    73
    I installed Elixir CR's and cant get them to not rub on the rotors. The rear is worse than the front. Instructions say to loosen cps, grab lever 5-6 times, hold and tighten cps. This made it better but after ten + times it still rubs. Maybe too much fluid like a couple posters said earlier?

  38. #38
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Annadel72
    I installed Elixir CR's and cant get them to not rub on the rotors. The rear is worse than the front. Instructions say to loosen cps, grab lever 5-6 times, hold and tighten cps. This made it better but after ten + times it still rubs. Maybe too much fluid like a couple posters said earlier?
    I know the info is in this thread somewhere but...

    First off....are the rotors straight..not dragging on a bent spot?

    could be to much fluid or sticky pistons not retracting.

    sticky piston:
    Try removing the wheel and pumping brake to extend the pistons...
    use your pad seperator (or wedge) and slowly push them back in...
    repeat numerous times...

    See if this works.

    If not.....read this thread for bleeding excess fluid!!!

  39. #39
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Annadel72
    I installed Elixir CR's and cant get them to not rub on the rotors. The rear is worse than the front. Instructions say to loosen cps, grab lever 5-6 times, hold and tighten cps. This made it better but after ten + times it still rubs. Maybe too much fluid like a couple posters said earlier?
    I know the info is in this thread somewhere but...

    First off....are the rotors straight..not dragging on a bent spot?

    could be to much fluid or sticky pistons not retracting.

    sticky piston:

    Try removing the wheel and pumping brake to extend the pistons...
    use your pad seperator (or wedge) and slowly push them back in...
    repeat numerous times...trying to remove stiction here!

    See if this works.

    If not.....read this thread for bleeding excess fluid!!!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Annadel72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    73

    Nuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts
    No problems with the CR's that I've been running for a couple of years. Had to remove a drop or two of brake fluid from my rear to resolve some minor rubbing but no probs since.

    Would you be so kind as to hook me up with how you removed a couple drops of fluid?

    Thanks

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Annadel72
    Would you be so kind as to hook me up with how you removed a couple drops of fluid?

    Thanks
    Was very easy to do. After removing the pads, I inserted the pad spreader in the rear caliper and proceeded to open the bleed screw at the lever. Make sure the bleed screw is facing up and have a rag ready. When I unscrewed the bleed screw at the lever, some fluid was forced out by the pad spreader pressure in the rear caliper. When no more fluid came out, I closed the screw and voila! no rubbing and pads retract all the way back in. Rubbing issue solved. Hope this helps.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Annadel72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    73

    Thanks much

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts
    Was very easy to do. After removing the pads, I inserted the pad spreader in the rear caliper and proceeded to open the bleed screw at the lever. Make sure the bleed screw is facing up and have a rag ready. When I unscrewed the bleed screw at the lever, some fluid was forced out by the pad spreader pressure in the rear caliper. When no more fluid came out, I closed the screw and voila! no rubbing and pads retract all the way back in. Rubbing issue solved. Hope this helps.
    I'll be doing this tonight.

  43. #43
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Annadel72
    I installed Elixir CR's and cant get them to not rub on the rotors. The rear is worse than the front. Instructions say to loosen cps, grab lever 5-6 times, hold and tighten cps. This made it better but after ten + times it still rubs. Maybe too much fluid like a couple posters said earlier?
    I have zero complaints about my Elixir CR's (or Juicy 7's on my other ride) in any temps (between 10 - 100 degrees so far)

    The grab and tighten deal has never worked for me... here's what I do:

    Loosen the skewer, make sure the wheel is seated properly in the dropout and tighten the skewer
    Loosen both caliper bolts just enough to be able to move it
    Turn the bike upside down
    Align the brake pads with the rotor as best I can, looking at them from a few different angles.
    When I have the rotor rubbing the least (or not at all!), I tighten the rear bolt first, then the front.
    Gently bend the edge of the rotor (using a clean paper towel) to remove high or low spots if they exist.
    Last edited by edubfromktown; 02-16-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.